Heat 1.5T extra virgin olive oil in a stockpot. Add 1 sliced yellow onion, 1 cubed potato, 1 quartered zucchini; saute until zucchini and potatoes begin to brown and onions are translucent. Stir in 2 cloves of chopped garlic, 1t ground cumin, 1 ear of sweet corn, 3c vegetable broth, and salt to taste. Simmer for 15-20 mins until potatoes are fork-tender. Serve immediately.
This recipe is relatively simple and it contains foods that are familiar: corn, potatoes, onions.
This soup is definitely comforting. It’s also not what I would consider a “heavy soup”, it has a light broth base. It’s perfect year around and any extra can be frozen and reheated with yummy results.
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 large zucchini, quartered
- 1 large Idaho potato, cut into 1″x 1″ pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 ear of sweet corn, kernels cut off with a serrated knife
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Salt, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the sliced onion, quartered zucchini, and potato and heat over high heat for 5 minutes until the zucchini and potato begin to brown and the onions began to turn translucent
- Next, add the chopped garlic, cumin, and corn and cook for 1-2 more minutes, stirring continuously to prevent garlic from burning
- Add vegetable stock and salt, bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender enough to pierce with a fork
- Serve immediately
Recipe adapted from Easy Vegan cookbook.
As the first and only recipe challenge founded by registered dietitians, The Recipe ReDux aims to inspire the food lover in every healthy eater and inspire the healthy eater in every food lover.