7 Ways To Use Tomato For Acne Scars
Tomato’s vitamin C helps synthesize collagen, making it a cheaper alternative to skin lightening creams. Tomato puree is all you need, but lemon juice and baking soda can be added for extra bleaching power. For a scrub, add sugar or coffee grounds to remove excess melanin and dead skin cells. You can also make a creamy mask with papaya, which controls sebum and reduces melanin. Still fighting acne? Aloe vera gel decreases inflammation and promotes skin growth.
Tomato is one of the best natural remedies for acne scars. It’s gentle yet effective, making it ideal for sensitive skin. You also won’t have to spend a pretty penny. There’s probably a tomato (or five) in your kitchen right now!
Acne scars often form from deep, cystic pimples, but they’re more common if you pick or squeeze them. This results in noticeable hyperpigmentation.1 Dealing with acne is bad enough, but having a souvenir just makes it worse. Instead of dropping cash on chemical creams that claim to lighten scars, take the natural route with tomatoes. Here are a few tomato treatments you should try.
1. Tomato Pulp Spot Treatment
Ever wonder why everyone is obsessed with collagen? This structural protein is needed for healthy and strong skin! Tomato is rich in vitamin C, a nutrient that helps produce collagen. It’ll also improve wound healing and prevent photodamage, a common cause of hyperpigmentation.2
- Chop 1 small tomato into cubes.
- Puree with a blender or food processor.
- With clean fingers, apply on to the problem areas.
- After 5 to 10 minutes, rinse off and pat dry.
- Store the leftover tomato in the refrigerator, and repeat once daily.
2. Tomato And Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a natural bleaching agent, so it’s perfect for scars. Just be careful around the eyes – it’s extremely acidic.
- After pureeing 1 tomato, add 5 to 7 drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Apply to the acne scars.
- After 5 minutes, wash off and pat dry.
- To prevent dryness, use 1 to 2 times a week.
Do this remedy at night. Lemon juice might sting when it’s exposed to the sun, so it’s not the best morning remedy.
3. Tomato, Lemon, And Sugar Scrub
Take things up a notch with sugar. This ingredient removes old skin and extra melanin, the pigment that colors the skin.3 Combined with tomato and lemon, scars won’t stand a chance.
- Mix 1 tablespoon tomato-lemon blend with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Stir well.
- Scrub onto acne scars, moving in a circular motion.
- Remember, watch out for the eyes.
- Rinse off and pat dry. Use 1 to 2 times a week.
4. Tomato And Baking Soda Scrub
Baking soda is another way to naturally bleach skin. It makes for a fine scrub, so why add it to tomato? This combo will do away with old skin and extra melanin.
- Combine 1 tablespoon each tomato puree and baking soda.
- Mix until a paste forms.
- Scrub onto problem areas in a circular motion.
- If you’d like, leave for 5 minutes.
- Rinse off and pat dry.
- Repeat 3 or more times a week.
Have sensitive skin? Use this remedy sparingly to avoid irritation or dryness.
5. Tomato And Coffee Scrub
For a coarser scrub, use old coffee grounds. Simply take them from the coffee maker after making a cup of joe. Plus, the delicious smell will perk you up.
- Combine 1 tablespoon each tomato puree and coffee grounds.
- Mix together.
- Apply to acne scars, scrubbing in a circular motion.
- Wash off and pat dry.
- Repeat daily for best results.
6. Tomato And Papaya Mask
The texture of tomato and papaya will feel divine. On the skin, papaya decreases melanin while increasing hydration. It also reduces excess sebum and acne-causing bacteria, preventing future breakouts before they start.4
- Chop tomato and papaya into cubes.
- Puree equal amounts in a blender or food processor.
- With clean hands, apply all over the face, focusing on problem areas.
- After 10 minutes, rinse off and pat dry.
7. Tomato And Aloe Mask
Are you also fighting active pimples? Try a gentle tomato and aloe mask. Aloe gel has anti-inflammatory glycoproteins, which will soothe irritated skin. It also contains polysaccharides that promote skin growth and repair.5
- Mix 1 tablespoon each tomato and aloe vera gel.
- If possible, use fresh gel from an aloe leaf.
- Spread onto the face.
- After 10 minutes, rinse off and pat dry.
Before using these remedies, do a spot test first! Apply a tiny amount on your arm or hand. If irritation develops, avoid using it on the face.
References [ + ]
|1.||↑||What Is Acne? National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Disease.|
|2.||↑||Vitamin C. Oregon State University.|
|3.||↑||Hyperpigmentation. American Osteopathic College of Dermatology.|
|4.||↑||Khan, H., N. Akhtar, and A. Ali. “Effects of cream containing ficus carica L. fruit extract on skin parameters: In vivo evaluation.” Indian journal of pharmaceutical sciences 76, no. 6 (2014): 560.|
|5.||↑||Aloe. University of Maryland Medical Center.|
Disclaimer: The content is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be construed as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical or healthcare professional.