Warm 1/4c olive oil in a saucepan over med heat. Add in 1 chopped red onion; saute until translucent. Add 4 zucchinis (cut into 1" cubes), cover and cook for 10 mins. Further, add 2c water, salt and pepper to taste. Bring water to a rolling boil; stir in 1lb frozen lima beans (thawed), 1c coarse bulgur, 2 cloves crushed garlic, 1c cilantro. Cook on low for 20 mins until rice is tender.
Anyone who has planted zucchini squash will know what the “abundant” means. It is one vegetable that, once planted, resembles Jack’s beanstalk. That is, the zucchini vine never stops growing, so the question now, “what do we do with them all”?
And we might wonder why such a plethora of vegetables does not exist with hard to find shiitake mushrooms, or French truffles, for example.
But, since we are blessed, or stuck, as the case may be, with plenty of zucchini, it might be helpful to know how to use the great quantity that is available during the summer. This is one way to use your zucchinis – Zucchini And Lima Bean Bulgur Pilaf.
You can make this pilaf with black eye peas, fava beans or garbanzo beans. I like the combination of lima beans and zucchini.
I use frozen lima beans just because I can not find fresh lima beans anytime I want in Sioux Falls, South Dakota and the one time I have decided to plant them at my garden the deer decided that the plants makes good meal. Oh, well!
You can use any kind of zucchini in this dish. I usually use garlic clove in this dish, but when I stopped at the farmer’s market, I found garlic chives and the smell was heavenly – if you love garlic! You can of course still use garlic cloves.
This dish goes great with plain yogurt and sweet onion. Here goes the delicious and easy-to-make pilaf to use your summer zucchini!
Zucchini And Lima Bean Bulgur Pilaf [Recipe]
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Recipe Type: Main Dishes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 4 zucchini cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 pound frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1 cup coarse bulgur
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a heavy pot, heat the olive oil and saute the onion for a couple of minutes.
- Add the zucchini, stir, cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Add the lima beans and the coarse bulgur to the boiling water. Stir, and bring back to a boil.
- Adjust the seasoning. Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and the cilantro.
- Stir gently, cover and cook over low heat for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Keep the pot covered and pilaf resting for 20 minutes before serving.