Saute 8 marinated (1/2 cup soy sauce, garlic powder) 1/4" tofu strips in sesame oil. Overlay 8 moist, flat rice wrappers with tofu, 1/2 cup carrots, 1 cup cucumber, 2 oz rice vermicelli, 1.5 tbsp Thai basil, 3 tbsp mint and cilantro, and 2 lettuce leaves. Roll and eat with chili garlic sauce (1/4 cup peanut butter, 1 cup hoisin sauce, 2 garlic cloves, 1 tbsp rice vinegar, and 1 minced chili pepper).
Warmer days are on their way and that means lighter fare is in order. Crisp veggies and cool snacks are craved this time of year and are fun at home, on a picnic or by the water.
That is why I am sharing my fresh vegan Vietnamese spring rolls recipe with you just in time for those hotter, sunnier days!
Tofu Vietnamese Spring Rolls [Recipe]
- 1/2 large (14-ounce) block extra firm tofu, pressed and drained, sliced into 1/4-inch strips (8 strips)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- Garlic powder (or minced garlic), to taste
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 8 rice wrappers (about 8 1/2-inches in diameter)
- 2 ounces rice vermicelli, cooked
- 1 1/3 tbsp fresh Thai basil, chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, julienned
- 1/2 cup carrots, julienned
- 3 tbsp fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 leaves lettuce, chopped (try romaine here)
Directions To Make The Rolls
- Marinate the tofu slices in soy sauce with a dash of garlic powder for about 15 to 30 minutes.
- Take out of marinade and saute tofu in a skillet with oil for about 5 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
- Fill a large bowl with warm water and dip one wrapper into the hot water for 1 second to soften.
- Shake off excess water and then lay wrapper flat onto clean, dry work surface.
- In single layer rows across the center, place 1 strip of tofu, then a row of a handful of vermicelli, cucumber, carrots, basil, mint, cilantro and lettuce, leaving about 2 inches open on each side.
- Then roll the wrapper like a burrito, folding away from you and tucking in the outside flaps to enclose completely. Do not roll too tightly as the wrapper could split.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients, plate and serve with dipping sauce.
Chili Garlic Dipping Sauce [Recipe]
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 minced chili pepper (depends on desired spiciness)
Directions To Make The Dipping Sauce
- Mix all ingredients together in a small serving bowl.