Cook 12 ounces macaroni pasta and set aside. Combine 2 ripe avocados, 1 cup basil leaves, 2-3 cloves garlic, 2 tbsp nutritional yeast and 2 tbsp lemon juice in a food processor. Season with salt and pepper and a dash of liquid smoke. Pour avocado pesto onto your cooked pasta and coat evenly. Top with fresh cherry tomatoes, vegan parmesan and/or 2 tbsp pine nuts and enjoy!
Avocados from Mexico are the only avocados available 365 days of the year, making them perfect for any season. Currently, avocados from Mexico make up more than 70 percent of all avocados sold in the US.
There is one word to describe the heritage of avocados from Mexico – Mexicanity! (authentic heritage, passion for living well, staying true to essence). So, what makes avocados from Mexico so delicious? The rich Michoacán soil, the warm sunshine, the nourishing rain, and the coastal air.
As a nutrient-dense, single-seeded berry fruit, avocados contribute 50 calories, nearly 20 vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients to your diet in one serving. Avocados are cholesterol, and sodium-free, and more than 75% of the fruit’s fat content is monounsaturated.
Because avocados come from plants, the fat contained within them is actually considered an oil – great news for fans of this incredible fruit!
Outside of a great guacamole dip, the three other best ways to enjoy avocados are as a spread, a snack, and a topping. Plus, I use avocados in baking, sauces and all sorts of ways from savory to sweet!
So, without further ado, check out my yummy vegan Smoky Avocado Pesto Pasta recipe!
Vegan Smoky Avocado Pesto Pasta Recipe
- 12 ounces of spaghetti, linguini, rotini or macaroni
- 2 ripe avocados from Mexico, halved, seeded and peeled
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Dash of liquid smoke, to taste
- Kosher salt (a variety of edible salt with a much larger grain size than the common table salt) and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil, as needed for desired consistency
- Make your pasta per cooking instructions on the box. Drain and set aside.
To Make The Avocado Sauce:
- Combine avocados, basil, garlic, nutritional yeast and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor.
- Season with salt and pepper and liquid smoke, to taste.
- With the motor running, if you have not gotten the consistency you are looking for, add olive oil, 1 tablespoon at a time in a slow stream until emulsified.
- Pour the avocado pesto onto your cooked pasta, toss to coat pasta evenly and serve.
- Top with fresh cherry tomatoes, vegan parmesan and/or pine nuts and enjoy!