Saute 1/2 onion, 1 red pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic, 1/2 cup peas, 2 tsp tomato paste, and 1 cup mashed potatoes in 1 tbsp olive oil. Separately, fry 1.5 cups rice and 1⁄4 tsp crushed saffron. Pour in 1.5 cups veg broth. Add spices. For the batter, whisk 1/4 cup flour, 2 vegan eggs, and 1⁄2 cup water. Place filling in center of rice disks, roll into balls, and coat with batter and bread crumbs. Chill. Deep fry.
I LOVE Arancini! They’re oh so good yummy risotto balls, bursting with tasty Italian flavor! But recently I was experimenting with Royal Basmati Rice and I was inspired to create Indian style rice balls!
So here it is, my vegan Indian Arancini recipe, similar to Samosa rice balls!! Enjoy!
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, minced
- 1⁄2 small red pepper, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 cup mashed potato (or cauliflower mash)
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups Royal Basmati Rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed saffron
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- ¾ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ¾ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup flour (gluten free if desired)
- 2 vegan eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups bread crumbs (gluten free if desired)
- Canola oil, for frying
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, pepper, garlic and cook, stirring, until soft, for 10 minutes.
- Add peas. Stir in tomato paste, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, cooked down and well incorporated.
- Remove it from the heat and mix in the mashed potatoes.
- Transfer meat filling to a bowl and let it cool; refrigerate until chilled.
- Heat the remaining oil in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the rice and stir in to coat.
- Stir in saffron and 1 1⁄2 cups broth.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and remove from the heat. Let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir in the garam masala, cumin seeds, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Spread the rice out on a plate and let it cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together flour, vegan eggs, and 1⁄2 cup water in a shallow bowl until smooth; place the bread crumbs in another bowl and set both aside.
- To assemble, place 1 heaped tablespoon of rice in the palm of your hand; flatten into a disk.
- Place 1 teaspoon chilled potato filling in the center of rice disk.
- Cover the rice around the filling to encase it completely; press gently to form a ball or samosa style triangle.
- Roll the ball into the batter and then into bread crumbs until it is evenly coated.
- Transfer it to a parchment paper—lined baking sheet; repeat with remaining rice, potato mixture, batter, and bread crumbs. Refrigerate for 20 minutes to firm it up.
- Pour oil into a 6-qt. Dutch oven to a depth of 2″ and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 360°.
- Working in batches, add rice balls to the oil and fry until golden and heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer rice balls to paper towels; let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with curry or sweet chili sauce for dipping.