Urinary tract infection is caused by bacteria. Factors responsible are diabetes, bowel incontinence, kidney stones, reduced fluid intake etc. Remedies include powdered Indian gooseberry or roasted barley with rock candy, taken with water. Avoid oily, spicy, and bitter foods. Have more juices and coconut water. Eat pitta pacifying cardamom, coriander, red sandalwood etc. Take frequent cold water baths.
Urinary tract infection is a common condition that arises when there is an infection caused by bacteria. The infection usually starts in the urethra and then travels up to the bladder and other parts of the urinary tract.
There is a burning feeling when urinating and an increased frequency of urination. The condition is more common in females, as the urethra is smaller (becomes infected easily) and near the anus (a source of contamination).
Also some conditions like diabetes, bowel incontinence, kidney stones, immobility, reduced intake of fluids, and pregnancy can contribute to urinary tract infection. Please see your doctor if you have any of the conditions.
Some Home Remedies
- Put 3 tablespoons of powdered coriander seeds and 1 tablespoon of powdered rock candy (or unrefined sugar) in a vessel (preferably an earthen pot) containing 3 cups of water. Keep it overnight. Mix well and drink 1 cup of the liquid 3 times a day. This is a very good remedy for pacifying pitta in the urinary tract.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of roasted barley water in 1 cup of water. Add ½ teaspoon powdered rock candy (or unrefined sugar). Have this twice a day. This is a very good diuretic and cooling preparation.
- Have 1 teaspoon of powdered Indian gooseberry fruit (amla; amalaki) with a glassful of water on an empty stomach in the morning.
Diet And Lifestyle Changes
- Avoid intake of hot, oily, spicy, sour, salty, and bitter foods.
- Increase intake of liquids in the form of water, juices, coconut water, and other cooling drinks.
- Increase intake of pitta-pacifying herbs like green cardamom, coriander, red sandalwood, licorice root, etc.
- Avoid working in the sun or in a hot atmosphere such as near furnaces and boilers.
- Take a cold-water bath 2-3 times a day with ½ teaspoon of powdered red sandalwood added to the water.