Preheat the oven to 300. Combine 2/3 c brown rice syrup (microwave for 30 sec), 1.5 c rolled oats, 1 tbsp each of flaxseed meal+vanilla extract, 1/2 c each of oat flour+sliced almonds+chopped cashews+pumpkin seeds, 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice, and salt to taste in a mixing bowl. Spread the mix (1/2" thick) on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15-20 mins.
This is my second granola recipe and this time it is oil-free! Granola is still a higher-calorie snack due to the nuts and seeds so pace yourselves.
It is still way better than some store-bought brands that have 32 ingredients with strange names. Plus it is portable, convenient and so easy to make.
I do use brown rice syrup as a sweetener and binder. It is not super processed and is low-glycemic. It is also a great snack for children.
Oil-Free Granola [Recipe]
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup oat flour (ground rolled oats)
- 2/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/2 cup raw sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup raw chopped cashews
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Heat syrup in a microwave (for 30 seconds) or stove top until it is runny and just starting to bubble.
- Combine dry ingredients and mix well.
- Throughly mix in syrup until there are no dry or powdery spots.
- Transfer to a large cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- With wet hands press the granola as flat as you can and make it no more than 1/2 inch high.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until hard, but not burnt. It should have a nice crunch.
- Let it cool and break into pieces of your choosing. It makes about 8 servings.