4 Simple Ways To Use Cilantro For Your Skincare Regime
Email to Your Friends
Cilantro is high in vitamin C, an antioxidant that fights off damage-causing free radicals. It is this same property that helps prevent the oxidation of oil produced by the skin, which, in turn, is very useful in treating blackheads. Vitamin C is also a collagen-booster, making cilantro useful in reviving aging skin while the antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of cilantro make it a potent remedy for acne.
A little bit of cilantro (also known as coriander) can go a long way in a food preparation. A few sprinkles of this herb is enough to pack in tonnes of flavor and liven up just about any dish. But the uses of this humble herb goes far beyond garnishing and flavoring purposes. Leaving culinary recipes aside, cilantro is also a star ingredient in many do-it-yourself beauty recipes, especially when it comes to skincare.
1. As A Skin Rejuvenator
Cilantro is high in vitamin C – the most sought after nutrient when it comes to skin rejuvenation. A potent antioxidant, vitamin C helps fight off free radicals that are the leading cause of skin damage since they can disrupt collagen and elastin formation in addition to causing inflammation and skin cancer.1
If you notice your skin looking tired and aged, this cilantro-rice face mask may be just what you need.
- Fresh cilantro, finely chopped: 2-3 sprigs
- Pure aloe vera gel: 2 tablespoons
- Yogurt: 2 tablespoons
- Fresh coconut milk: 1 tablespoon
- Rice powder: 1 tablespoon
- Any cosmetic clay of your choice: 2 tablespoons
- Put all the ingredients into a clean bowl and mix well until you get a smooth paste.
- Apply a uniform layer of this mask onto your skin.
- Wait for about 15- 20 minutes till the mask is almost, but not completely dry.
- Rinse the mask away with lukewarm water and pat your face dry.
Note: If you’re new to using cosmetic clays such as white kaolin or bentonite, always do a patch test to check if you’re allergic. Also, never leave a face mask that contains cosmetic clay on till it dries out completely as this can dehydrate your skin and cause irritation.
2. As A Blackhead Buster
Blackheads are basically caused when the oily sebum produced by your skin undergoes oxidation and turns black, thus clogging your pores. The antioxidant properties of vitamin C contained in cilantro can inhibit this process of oxidation, which makes this face mask an excellent natural remedy for fighting blackheads.
- Fresh cilantro juice: 1 teaspoon
- Fresh lime juice: 1 teaspoon
- Put the two ingredients in a small bowl and mix until well combined.
- Apply this solution to the parts of your skin that are the most affected by blackheads.
- Wait for an hour till this solution dries up.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and pat your skin dry.
3. As An Acne Fighter
In addition to safely eradicating blackheads by preventing oxidation of oil deposits in your pores, cilantro can also help mop up excess oil from your skin, which is often one of the main causes of acne. In addition to this, cilantro also has potent anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antifungal properties that can further fight off acne-causing microbes and soothe inflamed areas of your skin.2 3
If you have a bad case of acne, try this simple cilantro mask. It will not only help reduce your acne but will also help stave off future breakouts.
- Fresh cilantro: a handful
- Lemongrass: 1 teaspoon
- Chamomile: 1 teaspoon
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl. To this, add a cup of boiling water. Let this rest for 1 hour.
- Next, blend the contents of the bowl for 2-3 minutes.
- Apply an even layer of this mixture on your face and let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and pat your face dry.
4. As A Face Lifter
As we grow older, our skin loses its ability to produce collagen, an important protein that imparts fullness to your face. With the loss of collagen, your skin starts to sag, leading to wrinkles and creases.4
Once again, vitamin C-rich cilantro can come to your rescue by stimulating fibroblasts – carpenter cells in your skin that are responsible for producing collagen.5 It is because of this reason that vitamin C is one of the top ingredients in anti-aging products.
This cilantro-egg white-oats face mask can work wonders in erasing away those fine lines and wrinkles. With regular application, your skin should begin to feel firmer and bouncier!
- Fresh cilantro: 2-3 sprigs
- Egg whites: 2
- Oats: ½ cup
- Put all your ingredients in a blender and process until you get a smooth paste.
- Apply an even layer of this paste onto your face.
- Allow it to sit for about 10-15 minutes till it dries up.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and pat your face dry.
Note: Like all other natural remedies, these face masks won’t show you results overnight. Therefore, patience and consistency are key. Over time, repeated, dedicated applications will surely give you visible results and show signs of marked improvement in both your skin texture and complexion.
References [ + ]
|1.||↑||Telang, Pumori Saokar. “Vitamin C in dermatology.” Indian dermatology online journal 4, no. 2 (2013): 143.|
|2, 3.||↑||Silva, Filomena, Susana Ferreira, João A. Queiroz, and Fernanda C. Domingues. “Coriander (Coriandrum sativum L.) essential oil: its antibacterial activity and mode of action evaluated by flow cytometry.” Journal of Medical Microbiology60, no. 10 (2011): 1479-1486.|
|4.||↑||Ganceviciene, Ruta, Aikaterini I. Liakou, Athanasios Theodoridis, Evgenia Makrantonaki, and Christos C. Zouboulis. “Skin anti-aging strategies.” Dermato-endocrinology 4, no. 3 (2012): 308-319.|
|5.||↑||Tiedtke, Jane, Olaf Marks, Jacques Morel, and France Cosmetochem. “Stimulation of collagen production in human fibroblasts.” Cosmetic Science Technology 2007 (2007): 15-18.|
Disclaimer: The content is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be construed as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical or healthcare professional.