This occurs if estrogen is made early in the cycle and progesterone peaks near the 21st day. To counter this: eat a low fat diet, avoid caffeine, exercise, wear loose lingerie and apply warm castor oil on affected area. Premenstrual breast swelling can be a cause of concern when you have nipple discharge, new lumps or one sided lumps in breast tissue.
Premenstrual breast tenderness and swelling probably occur to some degree in nearly all women. The changing levels in hormones in the week or so leading up to your period can affect your breast tissue. Premenstrual breast swelling is often linked with premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and fibrocystic breast disease (benign breast changes).
Causes for Premenstrual Breast Swelling and Tenderness
Hormone changes during the menstrual cycle are likely to lead to breast swelling as:
– More estrogen is made early in the cycle and it peaks just before mid-cycle. This causes enlargement of the breast ducts.
– The amount of progesterone peaks near the 21st day (in a 28-day cycle). This causes growth of the breast lobules (milk glands).
The common symptoms are:
– Sensitivity is increased when touched, or pressure is applied
– Aching feelings
– Discomfort when accompanied by movement
– Soreness in breasts
– Swelling of breasts
Remedies for Breast Tenderness
– Eat a lower fat diet.
– Avoid caffeine (coffee, tea, and chocolate).
– Avoid salt 1 to 2 weeks before your period starts.
– Get vigorous exercise every day.
– Wear loose clothes and appropriate lingerie to avoid the discomfort.
– Switch to high fiber diet like vegetables, fruits seeds and nuts,
– Apply warm castor oil on pain affected area, by applying it with a cloth soaked in it and placed on the breast.
– Cut back your intake of hydrogenated oils, found in margarine, packaged baked goods and snack products.
Premenstrual Breast Swelling and Tenderness could be a cause of concern if:
– You have new, unusual, or changing lumps in breast tissue.
– You have one-sided (unilateral) lumps in breast tissue.
– You have discharge from your nipple, especially if it is a bloody or brown discharge.
– Your symptoms are interfering with your ability to sleep, and diet changes and exercise have not helped.