Onion Juice: Natural Hair Care Essential For Hair Growth
Email to Your Friends
Sulfur in onions enhances blood circulation and collagen formation, giving you luscious, smooth, and durable hair. Add 1 tbsp honey and a few drops of an essential oil (or lemon juice or rosewater) to 1 pureed onion. Gently massage this into your scalp to nourish your hair follicles. Wash off after 20-30 mins. Say goodbye to dandruff, hair loss, alopecia areata, premature graying, and more!
For women, worrying about their hair is an everyday struggle. The bond that most women share with their hair is truly remarkable, including myself. Both men and women consider hair to be an important part of their personality.
Natural Remedies – The Solid Bet
For decades now, natural home remedies have been successful in treating dandruff, hair loss, and many types of problems concerning hair care. In fact, use of ingredients from our kitchen seems hassle-free and devoid of side effects. They are also a preferred alternative in comparison with products with harsh chemicals.
Hair is basically made of a protein called keratin and is composed of carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, and sulfur atoms. And onion has sulfur in abundance. Sulfur, also referred to as the healing and beauty mineral, helps revive blood circulation, has anti-inflammatory properties, and aids in developing collagen. Collagen helps maintain durability, smoothness, good health of hair and nails.
Onion For Hair Care
Onion can be effectively used in treating hair-related problems right from dandruff, receding hair line, balding, premature graying, fungal hair infections, hair loss, and re-growth.
According to a proven experimental study published in the Journal of Dermatology in 2002, onion juice can effectively be used to treat an autoimmune disease causing patchy hair loss called alopecia areata. In the study, 86.9 percent of people who used onion juice on their scalp twice a day had a better chance of re-growth than those who did not and used plain tap water for hair wash.
How Onion Juice Works
- Application of onion puree/juice to hair with cotton balls or using gentle movements of your finger tips on your scalp helps increase blood flow to the area nourishing the hair follicles.
- It also provides them with increased nutrient supply for better hair growth, volume, strength (by strengthening the disulphide bonds) and prevents hair breakage.
- Onion also contains an enzyme, catalase, which is high in antioxidant properties and helps reverse the graying process of hair.
- The anti-bacterial properties of onion help cure the scalp of any infections and keep it healthy.
Onion Hair Pack Recipe
Here’s an easy recipe for a hair pack using onion that you can easily prepare using the ingredients you find at home. This tried and tested recipe using pureed onion and honey has been effective for many.
Honey has natural moisturizing properties, nutrients, and antioxidants required for strengthening hair follicles. It also helps cure damaged hair and aids hair growth.
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 1 tbsp honey
- A few drops of any essential oil (optional)
- Cut the onion and blend it nicely to make a fine juice or the juice can be extracted using a juicer.
- Add a tablespoon of honey to the onion juice and mix them well to make a slightly thicker mixture. Add more honey if the mixture is too dilute.
- Add a few drops of essential oil to overcome the pungent onion smell.
- Alternatively, lemon juice or rosewater can also be used for the same.
- Using a spreading brush or a cotton ball, apply this mixture gently onto the scalp and massage gently to help the follicles absorb the moisture.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes to half an hour and wash off. Use a mild shampoo if need be.
Repeat it thrice a week for a month or two and you will start seeing the difference. Good luck for healthier, shinier hair!
Disclaimer: The content is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be construed as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical or healthcare professional.