Dabbing lavender oil onto wrists and temples calms the nerves and prepares you for sleep. The pranayama technique of breathing can trigger the relaxation response. Yoga stretches, ending in shavasana is ideal before bedtime for sound sleep. Practice meditation, 4-7-8 breathing exercise and progressive muscle relaxation to get fast and sound sleep.
- Lavender Essential Oil: Dab on a little on wrists and temples to de-stress. The aroma is extremely soothing and prepares you for sleep.
- Breathing Through The Left Nostril: This age old pranayama technique helps increase focus while clearing your mind. Place your right thumb on the outside of your right nostril and press it closed. Holding it closed, breathe through your left nostril for around 26 breaths.
- Yoga stretches: Basic stretches, ending in savasana helps in relaxing the mind and body.
- Meditation: Certain meditations are specially intended to calm your down and induce sleep.
- Melatonin: A small dose of melatonin supplement can be taken an hour before bedtime. This is a hormone that regulates sleep/wake cycle.
- 4-7-8 Breathing Exercise: Lie in a comfortable position on the bed. Breathe in for 4 seconds. Hold breath for 7 seconds and breathe out for 8 seconds.
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation: Focus on individual body parts- Face, Shoulders and arms, Chest and abs, Back, Hips and butt, Legs and feet. Tense each area starting with the face and slowly release the tensed muscles.