Caramelize 1 cup chopped onion and 1 minced garlic clove in 2 tbsp olive oil. Stir for 15 1-sec pulses: 1/2 cup chopped almonds to lentils (boiled and dried), onions-garlic mix and 3 cups sautéed shiitake mushrooms. In a pan, layer 1/2 cup sauteed leeks, 3-4 baked and peeled potatoes. Top with lentil mix. Glaze with 2tbsp ketchup, 1tbsp balsamic vinegar. Heat for 20 mins.
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the average woman needs about 46 grams of protein a day. However, the average American gets about double that requirement. The most common sources are animal protein, which can lead to unhealthy amounts of fat and cholesterol.
So, what are some other options for protein? Here are some examples of plant-based protein sources that are low in cholesterol. Plus, get your hands on a delicious low-fat, plant-based “meat” loaf recipe at the bottom of the page.
Top 7 Plant-Based Protein Sources
1. Spirulina: 1 oz has 16 grams of protein.
2. Hemp Seeds: 1 oz has 6 grams of protein.
3. Chia Seeds: 1 oz has 4 grams of protein.
4. Quinoa: 1 oz has 1 gram of protein.
5. Tempeh: 1 oz has 5 grams of protein.
6. Almonds: 1 oz has 6 grams of protein.
7. Veggies: 1 oz of raw spinach has 1 gram of protein, 1 oz of raw kale has 1 gram of protein and 1 oz of raw green peas has 2 grams of protein.
And finally, the food! Enjoy this recipe for plant-based veggie “meat” loaf.
Meatless Meatloaf Recipe
For the “meat” loaf
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups cleaned shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 3–4 baked potatoes
- 1/2 cup leeks
- 2 cups black lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 4 cups water
- 2–4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
For the glaze
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring the water, with the lentils and herbs, to a boil.
- Simmer until lentils are falling apart, and then spread on a baking sheet to cool and dry.
- Caramelize the onions and garlic in 1–2 tbsp of olive oil until translucent and cooked through, then spread on towel-lined baking sheet.
- Saute the mushrooms.
- Process the almonds until finely chopped. Stir almonds in with onions, garlic, mushrooms and lentils, and process for 15 one-second pulses.
- Peel the potatoes.
- Combine the ketchup and balsamic, and mix together to form a “glaze.”
- Sautee leeks in 1–2 tbsp of olive oil, and combine with the potatoes.
- Spread the baked potato mixture at the bottom of a 9-inch cooking pan.
- Place lentil mixture on top, and brush with glaze mixture.
- Heat until warmed through, about 20 minutes.