Ginger and turmeric are common ingredients in the kitchen and a home remedy for many health conditions. Practitioners of traditional medicine recommend these two herbs for treating gastrointestinal problems, inflammatory conditions, and several other conditions.
When consumed together, ginger and turmeric can be a great cure for cold and flu. Today, we give you the recipe for an anti-inflammatory turmeric ginger tea.
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp freshly grated turmeric
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 slice of lemon
- Raw honey
- 1 tsp coconut oil or black pepper
NOTE: To increase the absorption in the body (turmeric has low absorption and rapid metabolism), you need to add a little fat to the tea, such as a teaspoon of the coconut oil or black pepper in this recipe, which aids in the absorption of curcumin.
- Boil water in a saucepan.
- Add freshly grated ginger and turmeric and let it simmer for 10–15 minutes on low heat. If using ground turmeric or ginger, boil only for 7 minutes.
- Strain the tea and add honey and lemon to taste. Also add coconut oil or black pepper.
The ideal consumption for a healthy diet would be one cup of tea a day. Please note that pregnant and breast feeding women should consult their doctor before consuming these herbs. Also, in case you take blood-thinning drugs or have a bleeding disorder, visit a medical practitioner before consuming this tea.
Health Benefits Of Ginger And Turmeric
- Ginger contains anti-inflammatory substances called gingerols that contribute to reducing muscle and arthritic pain. Ginger is also known to reduce pain and swelling and improve agility. It promotes digestion and relieves intestinal gas.
- Turmeric contains an ingredient called curcumin, which helps cure inflammatory conditions like ulcerative colitis and osteoarthritis.