Onychomycosis (nail fungus) is an infection of the nail caused by fungus, yeast and molds. It is the most common disease of the nails and constitutes about half of all nail abnormalities.
This condition is characterized by toenail discoloration, thickened and brittle nails. As the infection progresses, white or yellow patches may be seen on the scaly skin next to the nail, which may impart a foul odour.An estimated 13% of Americans, roughly equivalent to 35 million people have toenail fungus.
Various prescription drugs are available for the treatment of toenail fungus, but if you want to refrain from toxic medications and products and would like a treatment that has no side effects for the body, the Ayurvedic treatment or home remedies for Toenail fungus are listed below:
- Tea Tree Oil:Tea tree oil is an essential oil which has a powerful anti fungal property that treats a variety of infections including toenail fungus. The oil has to be applied externally and for toenail fungus sufferers with sensitive skin, it may be diluted with milder oils, such as almond oil.
- Garlic: Allicin, a biologically active compound of garlic is a natural fungicide. To treat a fungal nail infection, oil made from garlic essential oil may be applied topically at the site of infection.
- Apple cider vinegar with warm water: This combination is used as a complementary treatment. Scrubbing the affected area by using a scrub made of coarse ground rice flour and a few teaspoons of apple cider vinegar is a very good cure for toe nail fungal infection.
- Olive leaf: An extract of the olive leaf which is an anti-fungal agent is also effective.
- Lavender oil and Tea tree oil: Lavender oil mixed with tea tree oil is a good remedy for toe nail fungus. Lavender oil fights infection while the tea tree oil is a natural antibiotic. This mixture can be diluted with olive oil before application as they contain volatile compounds.
- A mixture of oregano and olive oil: Itis also a natural home remedy for toenail fungus. Two drops of oregano with a tablespoon full of olive oil applied on the affected area for three weeks does the cure.
- Rubbing Alcohol or Hydrogen peroxide: Feet soaked for about twenty minutes in rubbing alcohol or Hydrogen peroxide (3%solution) mixed with equal proportion of water is a good natural remedy. But the feet should be thoroughly dried afterwards.
- Probiotic food: Foods such as yogurt and kefir is essential for patients with toe nail fungus.
- Turmeric: Turmeric paste and water applied on the affected nail and then left to dry and thereafter rinsed off, is a natural cure for toe nail fungus.
- Onion: Rubbing the affected area with peeled and sliced onion is an effective treatment too.
- Vitamin E: Applying vitamin E oil to affected nails once or twice a day may help the nail grow healthy and free of fungus.
How to Prevent Toenail Fungus?
- Wash your feet regularly and keep your nails short and dry.
- Treat old shoes with disinfectants or antifungal powders or discard them, as they may harbor the fungi which may cause reinfection.
- Always choose shoes that reduce humidity.
- Avoid walking barefoot in public places.
- Always wash your hands properly after touching an infected nail. As the fungus can be transmitted from one nail to the other.