Benefits Of Using Fuller’s Earth Face Packs And Hair Masks
In India, fuller’s earth is also known as Multani mitti and Gopi chandan. It occurs naturally in sedimentary clay and is composed of alumina, silica, iron oxides, and water in variable proportions.
If you’ve been bogged down by skin or hair problems of late, there’s a good chance a loved one, a celebrity anecdote in a magazine, or a beauty blogger has drawn your attention to fuller’s earth. The use of this natural ingredient dates back to the ancient Roman civilization when it was used to bleach sheep fur, do laundry, clean surfaces, and keep skin and hair healthy. In fact, the word “fuller” comes from the term “fulling” which was used to refer to the process of using a particular clay to clean woolen cloth. The people who engaged in this practice were called “fullers,” hence giving way to the term fuller’s earth. And if you’ve got oily skin, you may find a best friend in oil-absorbing fuller’s earth. But that isn’t the only benefit it has. Here is a list of benefits that fuller’s earth will bring with it.
1. Cleanses Skin
Helps get rid of excess oil, dirt and dead cells caused by pollution.
2. Rich in aluminium silicate
Acts as a natural oil absorbent that leaves skin fresh and radiant.
3. Has high lime content
It kills harmful bacteria that causes excess oil and dirt accumulation.
4. Reduces inflammation
It has a cooling and soothing effect which is good for people suffering from sunburn or acne.
5. Has anti-aging properties
Helps tighten skin, reducing the appearance of wrinkles and lines.
6. Rich in Magnesium Chloride
Useful in reducing acne and blemishes.
7. Absorbs oil
If you have oily skin, then fuller’s earth is your best friend as it is very well known to have oil-absorbing properties. If you have dry or combination skin, you can still use fuller’s earth but you must add hydrating substances like curd, milk or ghee to it.
Face Packs Using Fuller’s Earth:
1. For Oily Skin: Mix equal amounts of fuller’s earth with rose water and apply to the skin for 10-15 minutes or until completely dry. Wash off with cold water. This face pack helps in refreshing the skin by balancing the skin’s natural pH levels.
2. Almond mask: Add 1 tsp of powdered almonds (for exfoliation) or almond paste (for face pack) with 2 tsp of raw milk and mix with 3 tsp of fuller’s earth to form a paste. Apply on face and leave it one for 10-20 minutes and wipe off with a cotton ball soaked in ice water.
3. Sandalwood mask: Take 2 tsp of fuller’s earth, 1 tsp of fresh tomato juice, ½ tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tsp of sandalwood powder to make a smooth paste. Keep the paste on for 10 minutes before rinsing off with Luke-warm water.
4. Glow-Tomato mask: Mix 1 tsp of raw honey, 1 tsp of lemon juice, 2 tsp of yogurt, 1 tsp of tomato juice and 3 tsp of fuller’s earth to form a paste. Apply on to the face for 10 minutes before washing it off. Do this once a week to revive dull-looking skin.
5. Mint mask: Mix 5 tsp of fuller’s earth, paste of 3-4 mint leaves and yogurt. Apply this paste on dark areas for 20 minutes before rinsing it with Luke-warm water.
6. Egg-white mask: Add 1/4th tbsp of fuller’s earth to 1 tbsp of yogurt and 1 beaten egg white. Leave this paste on for 20 minutes before rinsing it off with cold water. This is good to achieve an even skin tone.
7. Carrot clear skin mask: Mix 2 tsp of fuller’s earth with 2 tsp of carrot pulp and 1 tsp of virgin olive oil. Apply this paste on your skin and leave it on for 15 minutes before washing it off with warm water. This mask is good for pigmented skin.
8. Coconut de-tan mask: Mix 2 tsp of fuller’s earth with 2 tsp of coconut water or coconut milk. This paste is good for de-tanning. (You can add brown sugar to this paste if you want some exfoliation to use as a regular scrub and not a de-tanning mask). Keep it on for 15 minutes before washing it off with cold water (de-tanning) or warm water (exfoliation)
9. Papaya mask: Mix 1 tbsp. of fuller’s earth, 1 tbsp. of honey and 2 tbsp. of mashed papaya pulp. Apply on face and leave it on for 15 minutes, before washing off with warm water.
10. Neem acne scar removal mask: Mix 1 tsp of neem paste, 1 tsp. ground clove powder, 1 tsp of rose water, 1 tsp. camphor to 2 tsp. of fuller’s earth. Apply this paste weekly to reduce acne scars.
11. Orange mask: Add 1 tsp of powdered orange peel or orange juice to 2 tsp. of fuller’s earth to reduce acne.
Fuller’s Earth for Hair
It also acts as an effective hair cleanser and strengthens hair. Fuller’s earth keeps hair radiant and clean from the roots. It’s also mild on the hair and scalp, even facilitating blood circulation. The cleansing properties of Fuller’s earth are helpful in removing toxins from the scalp. It also helps in improving many hair conditions like dandruff and eczema. Try one of these hair masks to revive your hair.
Fuller’s Earth Hair Masks:
1. Dry Hair Mask:
-Mix 4 tsp. of fuller’s earth, ½ cup of yogurt (prevents hair fall and acts as a natural conditioner), 2-3 tsp of honey and 2-3 tsp of lemon juice (makes hair shiny and removes dandruff).
-Apply this mixture on the hair for an hour and rinse with luke-warm water for healthy and shiny hair.
2. Oily Hair Mask:
-Soak fuller’s earth in a bowl of cold water for 3 hours.
-Add 1-2 tsp of soap nut powder in the fuller’s earth mixture before 30 minutes of applying the hair mask.
-Massage this well in your hair for 5-10 minutes and wash it off with cold water.
3. Split End Hair Mask:
-Massage hair with warm olive oil or sesame oil and leave it on overnight.
-In the morning, wrap your hair with a warm towel for an hour.
-Apply fuller’s earth soaked in curd and keep it for half an hour before rinsing it off with water.
-You can use this mask once a week to notice results.
4. Straight Hair Mask:
-Add 5 tsp. of rice flour to 1 cup of fuller’s earth and 1 egg white to make a paste.
-Apply this one your hair and leave it one for 15-30 minutes and rinse off with cold water.
Few Things to Keep in Mind While Using Fuller’s Earth Hair Masks:
-It’s essential to comb your hair to remove the tangles and knots, before applying the hair mask.
-Try to massage your hair with oil the previous night, if you are planning to apply the hair mask the next day to achieve better results.
-Wait until the hair masks dry which may take anywhere between 15-40 minutes and spray milk using a spray-bottle on your hair.
-Comb your hair with a wide-tooth comb after this for 3-4 times.
-Use a mild shampoo and a natural conditioner (if you have dry hair) and wash with cold or luke-warm water.
Fuller’s Earth Body Wash
You will need:
.1 cup oatmeal powder
.1 cup neem powder
.1/4 cup sandalwood powder
. 1 tsp. turmeric powder
. 2 tsp. of chickpea flour
.1 cup of fuller’s earth
. 1 cup of heavy cream (moisturizing) or raw milk (normal skin)
. Beat the heavy cream or milk until it forms peaks (cream) or foams a little (milk).
. Add the rest of the ingredient and mix until combined.
.You can use this as a daily body wash to full your skin hydrated.
You can add fuller’s earth to your monthly beauty regimen by just following some of these beauty recipes or whipping up your own. The benefits that this simple ingredient can offer is numerous, so include them in your beauty ritual today.
Disclaimer: The content is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be construed as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical or healthcare professional.