Studies state that ginger extract consumed four times a day are effective in reducing joint pain. Fruits with anti-oxidant properties reduce inflammation, thereby reducing joint pain. They include blueberries, cherries, strawberries, rhubarbs, cauliflowers and apples. Other natural relievers include olive oil, avocado oil, honey and cinnamon.
Those of us who suffer from joint pain would like to erase it away. U.S. News reports that 46 million Americans suffer with some form of joint pain, including arthritis and 40% of American adults are expected to suffer with some form of joint pain by 2030. Rx prescribed or over-the-counter “Pain Medications” are used to treat joint pain, but many are turning to natural alternatives.
The National Health Care Serves reports that in 2012 nearly 18% of Americans took herbal supplements, a popular form of complementary medicine. The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, reports 38% of American adults use some form of complementary medicine.
Foods That Eliminate Joint Pain Naturally
Let’s examine different foods, including fruits, vegetables, herbs, rhizomes, and olive oil that are being used medicinally for eliminating joint pain naturally.
According to a 2011 Pain Medicine study using ginger to see its effectiveness on pain, wrote that researchers had used different dosages and types of ginger (alone or with other substances such as glucosamine) but couldn’t determine the effectiveness of ginger.
Though the researchers did credit ginger’s reported health benefits to the various volatile oils, especially gingerols and shagaols, which give ginger its bite. They also wrote that ginger is better than ibuprofen [without the side effects or toxins on the live in relieving pain.
The recommended dosage suggested is no more than 4 grams of ginger daily, from food and supplements. That would equal to 2 thin slices of fresh or candied ginger (1 inch in diameter), 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh ginger or the equivalent in ginger capsules (1,000 milligrams equals 1 gram).
One study reported that 250 mg. of ginger extract taken four times daily to be effective in easing the joint pain of osteoarthritis.
For precautionary reasons, if any of the following apply to you, ask your health care provider before using ginger medicinally: pregnant or breastfeeding, have diabetes or take blood thinners such as aspirin or warfarin.
Fruits That Eliminate Joint Pain
- Fruits are a way to eliminate joint pain naturally. The vitamins of fruits or also known as antioxidants which work to reduce inflammation in the body, in turn alleviating joint pain. The following are some great fruits to eat to manage joint pain.
- Blueberries contain high levels of anthocyanin, a phytonutrient that helps with production of collagen production. How so? Collagen is a protein that helps strengthen cartilage and helps hold body tissue together. Collagen keeps bones strong, including joints, helping to create a healthy skeleton.Eating a cup of these berries (fresh or frozen) daily can be a protection against tissue damage.
- Strawberries have shown to help lower levels of C-reactive protein (CRP) in the blood. CRP is a measure of inflammation in the body, and it is inflammation that is causing the joint pain.
- Cherries contain high amounts of phytochemicals that reduce inflammation. Tart cherries in particular, may be even higher in anthocyanin than blueberries.
- Apples are rich in antioxidants and have shown to help lower levels of C-reactive protein. The most beneficial substances of the apple are found in the peel, so make sure to eat the peel as well.
- Rhubarb is a good source of calcium, which is vital to skeletal bone strength and health. Steaming rhubarb can provide your body with more usable calcium than if it is eaten raw.
Vegetables For Joint Pain
The Foundation for the World’s Healthiest Foods, reports that cauliflower is a great help for those who suffer joint pain. The vegetable has anti-inflammatory nutrients, including omega-3 fatty acids, selenium and vitamin K. Cauliflower has indole-3-carbinol, a molecule believed to prevent inflammation.
Olive And Avocado Oils For Joint Pain
A 2010 article at Health News reported that 3 ½ tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil equates to 200 mg of ibuprofen. Avocado oil can also eliminate joint pain naturally, as it contains the anti-inflammatory vitamin-E and good fats that protect cells from oxidation, that can lead to joint pain.
Cinnamon And Honey For Joint Pain
The author of “Folk Medicine” (Deforrest C. Jarvis) , writes that a tablespoon of both cider vinegar and honey mixed with warm water and taken a few times a day can help relieve joint pain, such as that caused by arthritis.
The U.K. Daily Mail wrote the story of a woman who was suffering with the joint pain arthritis. The woman stated that no doctor prescribed medications brought relief. After a week of trying the vinegar and honey mix, she stated feeling improvements in her pain levels.
Medical studies performed in 2008 and publish in the Bio-organic and Medicinal Chemistry, studied cinnamon for joint pain relief and its possible effects on bone disease and damage as a result of rheumatoid arthritis. The article states that bone damage is caused by increased activity by cells known as osteoclasts that break down bones for resorption. The study showed that cinnamon slowed the activity and reduced bone damage.
Though these two studies done with honey make no mention using raw honey, it is recommended to use it. Unprocessed raw honey has vitamins, minerals, and enzymes, where as heated and processed honey lack these vital nutrients. A diet that includes processed, precooked packaged foods can bring on inflammation which in turn produces joint pain.
Only changing your diet now to a more whole food, clean and healthy diet will help in slowing the process of any joint pain that comes with aging. Such diet changes will help eliminate joint pain naturally.