Thyroiditis is an autoimmune disease that targets the thyroid gland which plays a key role in maintaining immunity. Consume fruits, vegetables, beans, fish, raw nuts, quinoa and buckwheat. Add sea salt and spices. Avoid caffeinated drinks, alcohol, artificial sweeteners, trans fats and allergen causing foods such as shellfish, soy, gluten, dairy and peanuts.
What is Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Disease?
Hashimoto’s disease or chronic thyroiditis is an autoimmune disease in which the thyroid gland is attacked by a variety of cell and antibody mediated immune processes. It was the first disease to be recognized as an autoimmune disease.
Hashimoto’s thyroiditis disease very often results in hypothyroidism. Symptoms include brain fog, weight gain or bloating, depression, sensitivity to heat and cold, fatigue, panic attacks, bradycardia, tachycardia, high cholesterol, reactive hypoglycemia, constipation, migraines, muscle weakness, cramps, memory loss, and hair loss.
Foods to Avoid
- Any food that you know you are allergic to
- Dairy: Including milk, cheese, yogurt, butter, margarine & shortening
- Polyunsaturated vegetable oils, margarine, vegetable shortening, all partially hydrogenated oils, and all foods (such as deep-fried foods) that might contain trans-fatty acids
- Gluten: Wheat, oats, rye & barley that are typically found in breads, pasta and cereals
- Tomatoes, tomato sauces and anything containing tomatoes
- Dehydrated fruits
- Rice, Corn, Potatoes (White, Red, Yellow)
- Coffee, Black Tea and Soda: Caffeine and caffeine free
- Fruit Juices
- Iodized Table Salt
- Sugar and Natural & Artificial Sweeteners: including agave and honey
- Soy or products containing soy: including soy milk and tofu
- Peanuts: including peanut butter and peanut oil
- Beef, Pork, Shellfish, Cold Cuts, Bacon, Hot Dogs, Canned Meat and Sausages
Foods to Eat
- Herbal Teas and decaffeinated Green Teas
- Quinoa and Buckwheat (not with wheat or gluten additives)
- Fresh Fruits and Vegetables (organically grown)
- Sea Salt and Spices such as ginger and turmeric (individual Spices are less likely to have intolerable additives)
- Peas (split, fresh and snap)
- Beans: including navy, white, kidney, garbanzo, black etc.
- Fish: except shellfish
- Moderate amounts of sweet potatoes
- Moderate amounts of chicken, turkey bacon, turkey sausage, ground turkey and lamb
- Moderate amounts of extra virgin olive and coconut oil
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Cashews, almonds, macadamias, pecans, walnuts and sunflower seeds