Does Sleeping In Bra Prevent Breasts From Sagging?
Ptosis, the condition of sagging breasts can be avoided by wearing a flexible bra while sleeping. Although there is no proof that bras help prevent or cause ptosis, it is largely believed to do the former. This is because a bra prevents the stretching of skin surrounding the breasts that is caused by gravity, which eventually causes ptosis.
Curejoy Expert Gina Hodge Explains:
Prevent Breasts From Sagging
Ptosis of the breast is the medical term for drooping or sagging female breasts. There may be conflicting views regarding the association of wearing a bra while sleeping and the prevention of sagging breasts, while some experts advocate sleeping bra-free at night while others strongly believe that wearing a bra at night does prevent breasts sagging. However, there is very little scientific data supporting each group.
Having said that it is my belief, that wearing bra at all times, especially for an individual who is more prone to breast sagging would certainly reduce the incidence of ptosis. The support provided by a bra would work against the effect of gravity, which would otherwise cause the stretching of the supporting skin and ligaments of the breasts, hence making it droop due to the downward gravitational pull.
But it is important to know that certain styles of bra would not be ideal to slumber in, like wearing an under wired bra with push-up. Thus choosing an ideal bra that is soft and comfortable is very important if you want to wear it in bed.
Other Causes of Sagging Breasts
- Poor posture
- Improper support
- Faulty diet
- Improper breast-feeding
Things You Can Do To Prevent Breasts From Sagging
- Wearing a well supportive bra: It is very important to wear a good supportive bra every day, especially during breast feeding.
- Establish a good exercise program: A good exercise program that includes weights to strengthen the muscles underlying the breast tissue might be very helpful.
- Maintain a good posture: Standing up properly, with your shoulders back and maintaining a good body posture goes a long way for preventing sagging breasts.
- Maintain a healthy body weight: Try to maintain your body weight with the help of good eating habits, exercise and Yoga. The main three Yoga asana’s which help in breast lifting are Sarvangasana, Sirshasana and Viparita karani.
- Keep your breasts smooth and supple: Exfoliate, use lotion and massage the breasts.
Disclaimer: The content is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be construed as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical or healthcare professional.