What's Your Body Type - Ectomorph, Mesomorph or Endomorph?
Understanding your body type is important in order to successfully plan your strength training and diet regimen. If you have a skinny appearance with a small frame, light build, and are resistant to weight gain your body type is ectomorph. On the flip side, if you tend to gain weight very easily and have a stocky build you are an endomorph. However, the mesomorph form lies between the two with traits like athletic build and well-defined muscles, and is often considered as the best body type for bodybuilding.
The 3 different body types are ectomorphic, mesomorphic, and endomorphic. Each body type has a unique set of attributes. While most people have one body type, some can have a combination of two body types. You need to know your body type and workout or follow a diet accordingly. The main idea behind customizing your diet or exercise routine depending on your body type is to help you be healthy and to help you maintain a healthy body weight. Some of you might see skinny models and would want to look like them but might have a very hard time losing that flab, whereas some of you might not gain any weight no matter how much you eat. Some of you might want to pump up like a bodybuilder and might spend hours at the gym and not be able to achieve those results, whereas some of you might be able to gain muscles with ease. You should set realistic expectations depending on your body type because your body type determines how easily you gain or lose fat and muscles.
Are You An Ectomorph?
What Are The Characteristics Of An Ectomorph?
- Skinny appearance
- Fast metabolism
- Small chest
- Small joints and bones
- Small buttocks
- Less body fat (without exercising)
- Long limbs
- Small appetite
- Builds muscle with difficulty
- Gains weight with difficulty
Diet Tips For Ectomorphs
- Fuel up on carbohydrates. The majority of the food you consume should be made up of carbohydrates. Do not consume unhealthy sugary drinks just because they consist of carbs but have a wide variety of carbs such as pasta, sweet potatoes, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, and nuts. You will be able to reach a higher body weight when you increase your calorie intake per day, especially if you want to do some body building.
- Eat more proteins than you normally do. In addition to carbohydrates, you should consume a large amount of proteins as well. Since your main aim will be to gain more weight, your body will require proteins to build muscles as you increase your weight. If you work out, you can consume protein shakes, sprouts, egg, and meat. Exercise caution and do not overdo it.
- Eat every 2 to 3 hours. Since you tend to have a very quick metabolism it is important to eat carbs and proteins at regular intervals.
Workout Tips For Ectomorphs
- You should not do too much of cardio. Since you burn calories quickly, it will be difficult to maintain a healthy body mass index or to build your body if you indulge in too much of cardio.
- Stick to a simple strength training routine. Since strength training also burns calories, do not focus on compound movements.
- Since you are already active, do not work out more than 3 times a week. Take proper rest after each workout session.
Are You A Mesomorph?
What Are The Characteristics Of A Mesomorph?
- Lean body
- Defined muscles
- Heavy body
- Gains muscles easily
- Gains fats easily
- Hard body
- Rectangular body shape
Diet Tips For Mesomorphs
- You should focus on having balanced meals. Focus on a healthy distribution carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in each meal you consume. Eat sweet potatoes, whole grains, seafood, lean meat, fruits, and vegetables.
- Consume 500 calories more than you normally would to gain weight and consume 200 to 500 calories less than you normally would to lose weight.
- Spread your meals (about 4 to 6 meals) throughout the day so that your metabolism rate does not drop.
Workout Tips For Mesomorphs
- You can lift moderate to heavy weights as your muscles are already well defined. If you are a woman, you do not have to worry about bulking up like men do by lifting weights as bulking up requires testosterone.
- Focus on each muscle group while working out, with less rest time in between. Try and do 3 to 4 sets of each exercise.
- You can do some moderate to heavy cardio 2 to 3 times a week to maintain fitness.
- You can workout almost 5 times a week.
Are You An Endomorph?
What Are The Characteristics Of An Endomorph?
- Soft body
- Short limbs
- Round body
- Slow metabolism
- Loses fat with difficulty
- Gains muscle easily
- Gains fat easily
- Not defined muscles
- Big appetite
Diet Tips For Endomorphs
- Limit your calorie intake. Since you gain fat easily, consuming more calories will make it difficult for you to lose weight. Try consuming smaller portions and spread your meals evenly throughout the day.
- If you are an endomorph, your digestion tends to be slow. You need to support your digestive system by consuming fiber. Concentrate on eating beans, broccoli, lentils, legumes, artichokes, Brussels sprouts, berries, while grains, carrots, fruits, and green leafy vegetables.
- Have lean protein. Do not consume proteins that have a high fat content. Have fish, poultry, tofu, and egg whites.
- Have healthy fats such as avocados and nuts but in moderation.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid junk foods and drinks with empty calories.
Workout Tips For Endomorphs
- You need to do at least 30 minutes of cardio every day. If your main aim is to lose fat, then cardio is the best way to achieve your desired results.
- Focus on strength training that involves your entire body. You can start lifting light weights initially and move on to heavier weights as your strength increases.
- You can workout as much as you want, even 7 days a week is acceptable if you are up for it.
Some of you might be a combination of 2 body types. For example, your upper body might be mesomorphic, while your lower body might be endomorphic. Identify your combination and eat and workout accordingly by trying a combination of workout and diet tips. The best way to be healthy is to love who you are and how your body is. Do not compare yourself to others. Instead, maintain discipline and be the best version of yourself.