You shower, eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly, change your underwear daily, and yet it has a funny smell downstairs in your vagina. It is embarrassing, unmentionable, and kind of awkward, especially during those hot, steamy moments. And who can forget the looks from your sexual partner and your gynecologist!
A Musky Smell Is Normal
To begin with, your hoo-ha would have a smell, no matter what you do. Most women have a musky smell, and its strength would depend on how active they are. Do not raise the alarm yet, because it is normal.
The smell is because of the hyperactive sweat glands in that area. However, do not forget to take a shower after a bout of exercise to lessen it a bit.
A Bloody Smell Is Normal During Periods
When you are going through your lady days, it is normal for your vagina to smell blood-like few days before. The blood from your periods can mix with natural state of things, and it can get a little bit different!
A Sweet Smell Is Normal After Eating Citrus Fruits
What you eat is what your vagina smell likes. Research shows that citrus fruits like pomegranate, oranges, and pineapples lend a distinct sweet smell to your vagina.
On the other hand, a diet that constitutes of garlic, asparagus, onions, and broccoli can add to your unpleasant odor.
A Bleachy Smell Is Due To A Reaction To Condoms
Some women are allergic to condoms. Yes, you read that right. Fret not, for usually it is one particular component of the condom that is setting off the imbalance in your vagina. Switch to different condoms over the next few weeks, and see if the stench improves. Have some patience, and scour the market, for there are lot of options available, ladies!
A Fishy Smell Is Due To Bacterial Vaginosis Or Trichomoniasis
If your vagina has a strong, foul smell, it is mostly because of bacterial overgrowth, medically known as the bacterial vaginosis. This upsets the delicate pH balance and there is usually a strong increase in discharge and a strong fishy odor.
If the discharge is green, and if it increases after sex, it typically indicates trichomoniasis, an STD. Smell something fishy? contact your doctor immediately.
A Bread-Like Smell Indicates Fungal Infection
Your vagina also houses some yeast, that is normal. Something is wrong when you notice a faint bread-like smell alongside a white discharge. It is probably a fungal infection. Consult the doctor immediately.
So ladies, keep your tabs on, and identify the good from the bad. Here are few DIY tips to help you get rid of that not-so-good smell.
Tips To Get Rid Of Vaginal Odor
Apple Cider Vinegar
- Put 2 cups of apple cider vinegar in warm water.
- Soak in this concoction for 20 mins.
- To your warm bath water, add one and half cups of baking soda.
- Soak in it for 20 mins and voila, the smell would be gone.
- Consuming two cups of yogurt daily would keep candida infection away.
- Mix salt and half a cup of vinegar in your warm bath water.
- Soak in it.
Tea Tree Oil
- Add three drops of tea tree oil to a cup of water. Rinse your lady bits with this solution.
- Alternatively, dip your tampon in olive oil, put a little bit of tea tree oil.
- Use the tampon for an hour, and you are good to go.
Your vagina is supposed to smell (despite of what your rude sexual partner says), what it is not supposed to do is smell bad or fishy, or have loads of discharge. Identify what you smell like, and consult doctor to rule out infections.
- 8 Vaginal Questions That You Are Too Embarrassed To Ask
- 7 Vaginal Infections You Can Get During Your Pregnancy
- Vaginal Infections: Causes, Symptoms, And Treatment
- 7 Possible Causes Of Vaginal Itching: Should You Be Worried?
- 9 Effective Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Vaginal Odor
- 5 Natural Vaginal Washes To Make At Home: Love Thy Ladybits