Curejoy Expert Dr.Janardhana Hebbar Explains:
Snoring is a fairly common disorder which affects 40% of men and 25% of women. Not all snoring is created equal, everyone snores for different reasons. Some maybe as serious as sleep apnea and some might be simple as a bad sleeping position. Once you understand the issues behind your snoring, it will be easy to resolve them.
Remedies To Dodge Snoring
- Clear nasal passages as a stuffy nose makes inhalation difficult and creates a vacuum in the throat which leads to snoring. You can do this by using a neti pot or nasal decongestants/nasal strips.
- Dryness often causes snoring as it can irritate membranes in the nose and throat, so keep the air moist in your bedroom by using a humidifier or take a hot bath or shower before bed.
- Try elevating your head four inches as this may ease breathing and encourage your tongue and jaw to move forward.
- Avoid alcohol, sleeping pills, coffee, large meals and fatty foods before bedtime as all of them can restrict airflow by pushing up on your diaphragm.
- Avoid sleeping on your back, as gravity makes it more likely for your tongue and soft tissues to drop and obstruct your airway. Try sleeping sideways.
- Losing weight can reduce fatty tissue in the back of the throat which may decrease or stop your snoring.
- Exercising can help to stop snoring as it may tone the muscles in your throat leading to less snoring.
- Smoking causes airways to be blocked by irritating the membranes in the nose and throat.
- Try this exercise. Stick your tongue out as far as you can, then relax. Repeat 10 times. Stick your tongue out and try to touch your chin. Hold. Repeat with trying to touch your nose. Repeat 10 times.