Namaste, beautiful ladies! Today, I’d like to share with you an Ayurvedic smoothie recipe that helps me sail through my monthly cycles without much pain
The word “nari” comes from Sanskrit and means woman. This drink is deliciously rich, comforting, and will keep you in a good mood.
- 1–2 tbsp soaked organic sesame seeds (best if soaked overnight and black colored)
- 4–5 tbsp organic coconut flakes (soak the flakes for 2 hours for extra smooth texture)
- 4–6 organic medjool dates
- 1/2 tsp organic Vietnamese cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated organic ginger juice
- 1/2 tsp organic amalaki powder
- 1/4 tsp organic shatavari powder
- Water as needed
The quantity mentioned here makes 1–2 glasses. Blend these ingredients using a blender.
This smoothie’s thick and creamy texture is an indulgent treat to the taste buds. Ayurveda gives prominence to the consumption of soaked sesame seeds during this time of the month.
What Are The Benefits?
- Sesame seeds are excellent during heavy menstrual days as they help reduce cramping and heavy flow. These seeds are also one of the highest source of iron. But the seeds are warming in nature; to regulate the menstrual flow, they must be mixed with a natural sweetener.
- Dates and sesame seeds go very well and taste amazing.
- Coconut flakes are cooling to the body, offset the warm quality of sesame seeds, and also help in hormonal balance.
- Shatavari is a valuable herb for all phases of woman’s life. It is an excellent vata and pitta pacifier. The steroidal saponins in this herb help in regulating the menstrual cycle.
- Amalaki (also known as Indian gooseberry) is popularly used for its high source of Vitamin C. It helps to rebuild new tissues and increase red blood cell count. It has five of the six tastes (except salty) to keep the appetite balanced and nourished.
According to Ayurveda, a woman’s health is directly related to her menstrual cycle. Regular menstrual cycle is not just meant for conception and pregnancy. This process aids in the detoxification of our body.
Ayurveda considers it important for every woman to feel grounded and feminine and, most importantly, to get connected with her inner Self during this time. Unfortunately, for most women, menstruation is considered a hindrance in the day-to-day activities.
Why Menstruation Is Good
A healthy and regular menstrual cycle is indeed a gift to womanhood. During this period a woman’s body is regenerated, renewed, reinvigorated, and rejuvenated! We get a total body makeover, if you will, during this time. So how can we not be thankful? I hear you…ladies, reading this post, I know what you are thinking…is she Crazy?
In our endeavor to juggle everything in our busy lives and please everyone, we neglect to notice the mental baggage building in ourselves, which gradually results in emotional and physical imbalances. These imbalances trigger unhealthy and irregular menstrual cycles, leading to hormone imbalance and various ailments, especially of the reproductive system.
When we experience healthy and regular menstrual cycles, we begin to cherish our femininity and become grounded and self-confident, radiating love, warmth, caring, empathy to everyone who crosses our path. Enjoy a happy and healthy cycle. I would also love to hear your experience and your thoughts on this post. Please do let me know if you want me to write more posts on topics like this.