What Is The Best Natural Treatment For Constipation?
Email to Your Friends
Constipation can occur due to stress, lack of exercise, certain medications, and artificial sweeteners and especially through a diet that’s lacking fiber or fluids. Certain medical conditions, such as an under active thyroid, irritable bowel syndrome, diabetes and cancer, also can cause constipation. Here are a few remedies that you can try to relieve constipation:
- Prune Juice: Drinking one glass of prune juice in the morning and night will relieve constipation. Alternatively you can eat prunes, if you prefer that. However, exercise caution while drinking prune juice; too much will cause diarrhea. 2 glasses or 8 oz is the recommended amount.
- Dandelion Tea: Put 1-2 teaspoons of dried dandelion leaves in a mug, and pour hot water over them. Cover and let steep for 6-10 minutes. Drink thrice a day.
- Baking Soda: Mix a tsp of baking soda with ¼ cup of warm water and drink the mixture. It helps re-alkalize the stomach, neutralize the acid and help things pass through your gut.
- Aloe Remedy: Mix 2 tbsp. of pure aloe vera gel with fruit juice and drink it in the morning, OR drink one cup of aloe vera juice. The gel straight from the plant is more concentrated than commercial aloe juice, so don’t use more than 2 tbsp.
- Flax Seeds: You can add flax oil with your morning juice or smoothies OR add them as garnish for your salads or in baking recipes.
- Eat Nourishing Fats: Eating a fat-free diet will lead to constipation. The gut needs lubrication to be able to push out waste. You can eat a few tbsp. of saturated fats like organic, grass-fed butter or ghee every day.
- Get Magnesium: Take a magnesium supplement as your body does not absorb magnesium very well. Apart from the other health benefits, magnesium also helps relieve constipation.
- Eat Fermented Foods: Yogurt, Kefir and other naturally fermented products promote healthy gut flora and helps relieve constipation.
- Coffee-Olive Oil: Drink freshly brewed coffee blended with 2-3 tsp of olive oil to relieve constipation. (You need not mix milk or cream in the coffee). If constipation is extreme, applying olive oil/castor oil around the anus before doing your business will help relieve pain.
- Herbal Laxatives: Rhubarb, Senna tea, Buckthorn, Cascara Sagrada can relieve constipation. However, many people turn dependent on them. Ideally, you must not use these for long-term use (i.e. more than a week). Prolonged use may cause the bowels to lose the ability to move on their own, and has been linked to chronic diarrhoea, potassium depletion leading to muscle weakness and potentially dangerous irregular heart rhythms, and kidney or liver impairment.
Disclaimer: The content is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be construed as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical or healthcare professional.