Did you know that omega 3 deficiency is one of the top 10 causes of death in America? Yes. I know that there’s a lot of confusion about omega 3 fats and fish oil in general. So let’s dig deeper into this topic.
Let me tell you why it’s so important to get enough omega 3s in your diet and give you 3 surprising benefits of fish oil .
All About Balance
The real cause of premature death can be found in an imbalance between omega 6 and omega 3 fats. Omega 6 fats are not the bad boys here. But if you consume them in a large amount without an adequate amount of omega 3s, they can cause inflammation within your body. This inevitably leads to chronic illness and various forms of diseases.
A Ticking Time Bomb
The ideal ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 should be 2:1. But if you are on an average western diet, your ratio is more likely to be 25:1.
If you are deficient in omega-3 fats, you may struggle with health conditions like asthma, obesity, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and Crohn’s disease.
Fish are contaminated with toxins and heavy metals, and I wouldn’t recommend eating them every day.
One of the biggest challenges nowadays is getting enough omega 3 fats in our diet, as most of them are found in wild fish like salmons, anchovies, mackerel, and sardines.
Quick Tip: If you eat a lot of fish, make sure you support your liver in the detoxification process to get rid of all the heavy metals. Chlorella, a blue-green algae, has a very high concentration of chlorophyll and aids in the detoxification of our bodies.
To be on the safe side and to make sure you keep a healthy balance of omega 6 and omega 3 fats. Supplement them in the form of fish or krill oil.
Benefits Of Fish Oil
1. Healthy Skin And Hair
- Fish oil reduces inflammation and moisturizes your skin from the inside out. It prevents wrinkles and works against the aging process.
- Supplementing with fish oil benefits in thicker and stronger hair, reduces skin conditions like acne and eczemas, and also reduces aging and sun spots.
2. Fertility And Pregnancy
- Consumption of fish oil improves fertility in both men and women and is especially important during pregnancy.
- It also balances out our hormones, reduces inflammation, and regulates our cycles. If you have PMS, heavy cramps during your period, or endometriosis, fish oil can help reduce the pain and symptoms.
3. Weight Loss And Mood Swings
- Fish oil has been known to beneficially reduce fat, especially around your midsection.
- It boosts serotonin levels in your body. Serotonin is the feel good hormone that improves your mood.
How To Take It
I recommend a minimum of 1000 mg of high-quality fish oil daily. Ideally, combine it with potent antioxidants like astaxanthin that help stabilize the oil from going rancid.
Omega-3 fats are polyunsaturated fats, which means that their heat threshold is very low and they can oxidize easily. Make sure to keep your fish oil in a dark container in the fridge and consume it within 40 days.
Choosing The Right Oil
This is the tricky part, with loads of different fish oil products in the markets. Which one is the right (and safe) one to take?
IFOS, the International Fish Oil Standards Program, is the only third-party testing and certification program for fish oils. IFOS sets the world’s highest standards for purity, potency, and freshness, and I trust them fully. Before purchasing, check your product to be on the safer side.
Do you have any experiences with supplementing with fish oil? If yes, did you feel a difference? I’d LOVE to hear your thoughts in the comments below!