Having a good night’s sleep is sure aid for our well being as Ayurveda regards Optimum Sleep as one of the three pillars of Natural wellness and longevity ( the other two are diet and exercise).
- Many times you tend to suffer from loss of sleep or insomnia due to the imbalance in diet and lifestyle and the escalating stress in day-to-day living.
- Due to exceeding cut-throat competition in our everyday life and work situations, sleep related disorders are on the rise.
- Sometimes insomnia may result from a drug reaction.
- Diseases like hypertension and anxiety etc relate to loss of sleep or insomnia as a natural sign.
- Sleeping in a dark room with calm and quiet environment is vital for overcoming Insomnia and to get natural relaxed sleep.
- Your body works on natural clock. Therefore, fix a proper time and routine like listening to soft music, reading etc. before your everyday snooze. This helps to signal the body and makes it ready for sleep.
- Involve yourself in physical activities and mental work through the day so that it exhausts you enough to obtain a sound sleep.
- Limit your intake of caffeine rich foods like coffee, chocolates etc. as these interfere in the natural pattern of sleep.
- You need to restrict having oily, spicy and heavy to digest meals before going to bed as this also could result into disturbed sleep.
- Take care not to take a long nap during afternoons as this might keep you awake in the night.
- Try not to take worries to bed and also refrain from staring at the darkness if you’re unable to sleep. It is better to go to another room and try any creative activity like reading. Go to bed only when you actually feel sleepy.
- Go in for mud nap occasionally. This is good news for all those suffering from stress, anxiety, insomnia and related maladies.
- Sleeping in the mud also benefits significantly in case of nervine debility and mental instability.
- Heavy and nourishing diet like ghee, milk, sugarcane juice, rice, curds, jaggery based products etc.
- Lifestyle measures include self massage ( especially head region and mildly on ears and closed eyes), bathing with perfumed herbal soaps, local application of perfumed pastes or lotions on the body and head, soft pressing of the weary limbs etc.
- Mental relaxation is also considered vital for the commencing of relaxed sleep. Ayurveda text mentions to be sparing some time with your kids and agreeable alliances and family members, before going to bed.
Ayurveda Dosha Healing Guide for Sleep Pattern for Vatta, Pitta & Kapha Types