6 Ancient Indian Practices To Heal Back Pain And Sciatica
Try acupressure therapy for sciatica and back pain thrice every day. Doing the Back Mudra thrice a day helps strengthen the back. Make a pain relieving balm with organic ghee and cayenne pepper, and apply it on the affected areas. A hot ginger bath is good for joint pain. Taping crystals like smoky quartz to the affected areas gives pain relief. Drinking 8 to 12 glasses of cold, pressed juices like cherry juice is raw juice therapy for severe pain.
The mind and body are intricately connected; therefore, it is common for suppressed emotional pain to manifest as physical pain.
Back pain and sciatica can be acute or chronic and result from the complex network of nerves, muscles, joints, ligaments, or spinal discs. They cause tension and discomfort in the upper, middle, or lower back; hips; legs; knees; ankles; or feet.
Traditional Indian energy healers believe that the primary physical root cause of back pain stems from energy imbalances within the adrenal glands. This affects blood flow and oxygenation and causes poor circulation, which leads to an accumulation of impurities, cold, and excess moisture within the tissues resulting in inflammation or contraction and pain.
The primary emotional root cause of back pain is believed to stem from suppressed emotions associated with feeling insecure, ungrounded, or unsupported.
Follow these holistic healing practices for up to six weeks and reap their benefits.
6 Ancient Indian Practices To Heal Back Pain And Sciatica
1. Acupressure Therapy
It regulates and empowers the physical, mental, and emotional energies.
Apply the following treatments for two minutes, three times a day.
- To stimulate your adrenal glands, firmly massage the area on your back – either side of the spine just below your rib cage.
- To calm your nerves, gently massage each of the webs between your fingers and toes. This decreases the sensation of pain.
- To increase circulation, massage the tips of your fingers and toes. This releases excess moisture, cold, and impurities from the tissues.
- To empower your sciatic nerve, lower back, and hips, firmly massage your heels, ankles, and Achilles tendons.
- To empower the energy throughout your entire back, intermittently press the spine acupressure points located along the back of each hand. Start at the web between your thumb and index finger, continue over the back of your hand, and end at the back of your wrist.
2. Mudra Therapy
It stimulates physical healing and encourages emotional balance.
The Back Mudra strengthens the entire back and increases blood flow to relieve pain.
- Place the tips of your right thumb and middle and little fingers together.
- Relax and extend your right index and ring fingers.
- Place your left thumb joint on the nail of your left index finger.
- Relax and extend your left middle, ring, and little fingers.
- Practice three times a day for ten minutes each.
3. Natural Pain Remedies
Here’s how you make a pain relieving balm at home.
- Gently melt 100 grams of organic ghee.
- Slowly add one tablespoon of organic cayenne pepper.
- Pour the warm mixture into a sterile jar. Do not refrigerate.
Apply liberally to the affected areas of your back, hips, buttocks, and legs to activate blood flow and assist in the removal of impurities, cold, and excess moisture. Do not apply on broken skin. Avoid contact with the eyes.
To relieve muscular, arthritic, and rheumatic joint pain, take a hot ginger bath in the evening. This detoxifies the tissues through perspiration.
- Simmer two tablespoons of freshly grated ginger root in a liter of water for ten minutes.
- Strain and add the ginger-infused water to a hot bath.
- Relax in the bath for twenty minutes.
- Drink two cups of fresh ginger tea to flush out impurities and retire to a warm bed.
4. Natural Healing Remedies
Follow these steps to free a trapped sciatic nerve or relieve lower back pain.
- Lie on the floor on your stomach with your arms close to your sides.
- Remain still and ask a partner to hold the front of your left ankle and very gently raise your lower leg until your left heel touches your buttocks.
- Hold this position for five seconds. Ensure your upper leg remains in contact with the floor.
- Repeat with your right leg; continue the procedure twice.
- Then, hold both the ankles and raise your lower legs together until your heels touch your buttocks.
- Hold this position for five seconds.
- Do not force the movements. Practice daily to increase your flexibility.
This traditional procedure can be painful, yet very effective in freeing a trapped sciatic nerve and realigning the spinal discs.
5. Crystal Therapy
The earth’s natural stones assist in healing physical pain and emotional wounds.
Taping the following crystals to the affected area restores the flow of healthy positive physical and emotional energy.
- Smoky quartz is a grounding stone that cleanses the emotional and physical energies when alleviating pain from the back muscles.
- Malachite is a strengthening stone that stimulates the body’s innate healing response when relieving muscular tension.
- Copper is a balancing stone that regulates energy flow throughout the chakras when relieving heat and inflammation.
- Blue Lace Agate is a cooling stone that calms emotional stress and relieves chronic inflammatory pain.
- Apatite is a regenerating stone that promotes the formation of new tissue when healing damaged cartilage.
- Hematite is a stabilizing stone that increases blood flow to the spine and legs when healing the sciatic nerve.
6. Raw Juice Therapy
Traditionally, fasting was recommended to remove the accumulation of physical and emotional toxins and allow the body’s energy reserves to be directed towards self-healing; however, raw juice therapy has similar benefits.
For severe pain, drink eight to twelve glasses of cold, pressed juice for three days. Include the following juices.
- Cherry juice is naturally anti-inflammatory and purifies the blood.
- Green leafy vegetable juice detoxifies and nourishes the adrenal glands.
- Potato juice balances the body’s acid/alkaline levels and improves oxygenation.
- Beetroot juice cleanses the kidneys to reduce the accumulation of excess water and impurities.
- Gooseberry juice is rich in nutrients that rejuvenate the endocrine glands and initiate the body’s healing capacity.
- Pineapple juice detoxifies the joints, muscles, and ligaments; reduces inflammation; and repairs damaged tissue.
Add a little fresh ginger and turmeric root to each juice as both possess natural grounding, anti-inflammatory, and pain relieving properties.
These ancient holistic practices heal the underlying physical cause of back pain and balance your emotions to strengthen your back and prevent further damage.
Disclaimer: The content is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be construed as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical or healthcare professional.