8 Cleaning Products Deadly For Your Dog

Email to Your Friends

Pets fill our homes with happiness and joy. And whether we like it or not, bring with them, tons of stray hair, dirt and odors. And if it wasn’t for the wide array of cleaning products available to us, our home wouldn’t smell very different from a barn. Wouldn’t you agree?1

A floor mopped clean with the best smelling disinfectant in the market, may seem very appealing to our senses, but have you ever thought of how the chemicals in it would impact your dog, who lays on the floor most of the time and doesn’t think twice about licking it, once in a while?

There’s nothing more important to us than the health and safety of our pets. Nothing is worth compromising on, when it comes to their well-being. Then why compromise on the cleaning products we use, when our pets are the ones who get exposed to them the most.

Let’s take a look at what goes into making these cleaning products and how it impacts our precious fur-babies’ health.

Why Some Cleaning Products Might Harm Your Dog


Traditional cleaning products use chemicals like bleach, ammonia, chlorine, formaldehyde, phenol and isopropyl alcohol all of which can be extremely harmful for pets. And experts say, that most of the time it isn’t even easy to determine how far a pet has been harmed by a chemical.

Signs of poisoning vary depending on the product and the extent of exposure that your pet has had to it.2

Direct contact could cause something as minor as lethargy or a rash, while ingesting a considerable amount could cause seizures, coma or even death.

Let’s have a look at 8 cleaning products we use every day and reasons why we probably shouldn’t.

1. Toilet Bowl Cleaners


If your dog likes to drink water out of the toilet bowl sometimes, you need to think about what products you are using to clean the toilet bowl.

Toilet cleaners contain chlorine and other harmful chemicals that could seriously harm your dog resulting in burns in his mouth and insides and could even cause seizures.

If he’s a frequent offender, it may be a bad idea to use the clip-on toilet cleaners or the ones that you put at the back of the tank as he would be sure to ingest them, every time he laps water off the toilet bowl.

It might be a good idea to invest in a non-toxic toilet bowl cleaner and make sure you put the lid down, to try and deter your dog from drinking toilet water.

2. Fabric Softeners


Keep fabric-softening sheets strictly away from your dog’s reach. They contain detergents that could harm him. And if your dog accidentally ingests them, it may cause vomiting, ulcers and even intestinal blockage.

3. Laundry Detergents


Laundry detergents may seem totally harmless for our pets, as we assume that they’re going to get rinsed away. What we don’t know is that there is residue left behind on the clothes and blankets that you use for your pet, and can harm him. Especially if your pet likes to chew on his bedding.

Many laundry detergents contain chlorine which can be very dangerous for your dog. Their fumes can irritate your dog’s eyes and skin or cause an upset stomach if your dog chews on a bed or blanket which has been washed with the detergent.

There are other ways chlorine can harm your dog as well. Vapors from products containing chlorine make their way to the ground that your dog spends a lot of his time on and not to mention, uses his tongue to explore.

It helps to buy detergents free from dyes and chemicals to wash items of clothing that your dog will use.

4. Floor Cleaners


The floor of your house, happens to be the one place where your dog spends most of his time. And doesn’t mind exploring it with his tongue the least bit.

And that’s one place that we use many cleaning products on, too. A good rule to follow then would be, if you wouldn’t want to put it on Fido’s tongue, don’t use it on the floor either.

5. Glass Cleaner


Glass cleaners seem to be simple, harmless products. But they contain ammonia, a chemical that can be deadly for pets. If your dog inhales ammonia or ingests any residue left on the glass, it could cause serious harm to his nose, throat and stomach.

The spray from the glass cleaners is also known to travel some distance in the air and can land in your pet’s water bowl.

6. Counter Cleaners


If your dog is into counter-cruising, cleaners that you use on your counters could be potentially harmful for him. Also, cleaners that come in a spray bottle, can travel through air and settle in your dog’s water bowl.

7. Air Fresheners


Air fresheners, although seemingly harmless, can be harmful for your dog. These include sprays, candles or plug-in air fresheners, which can all cause problems for dogs with allergies.

A good substitute for store-bought chemical fresheners could be, using a potpourri made out of cloves, dried flowers and fruits, or letting crushed cinnamon boil in water on your stove, for a while.

8. Drain Opener


Since a drain opener literally goes down the drain, you may be tempted to think that it wouldn’t cause any real harm to your pet.

But that’s hardly true. Drain cleaners give off intense fumes long after you’ve emptied them into the drain and can be extremely harmful to your pooch if he inhales them.

Use a not-toxic, pet-safe option which is harmless for your dog as well as the environment. Or at least make sure Fido is not around for a while when you use a drain opener.

Safer Cleaning Alternatives


Most pet-friendly alternatives are easily available in the market, and can be simple to make with products you may have at home.3

Apple cider vinegar is a great natural cleaning agent. A mixture in the ratio of 1:1 can be used to wipe down counters, in laundry and on windows. Tougher messes may need a stronger mix, but it could leave a lingering vinegar smell in your house. But it won’t harm your pet in any way.4

Baking soda is another great product that can be used for cleaning, and is totally safe for pets. It is good for areas that require scrubbing like the toilet etc.

References   [ + ]

Disclaimer: The content is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be construed as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical or healthcare professional.

Email to Your Friends