15 Pet Hazards Lurking In Your Home

Email to Your Friends

Your dog is a curious creature. His nose doesn’t just dominate that cute face, it dominates his brain as well.
Quite literally a nose on four legs, his ability to sniff out things is between 1,000 and 10,000 times that of yours. Can you then blame your pooch for sniffing out things not meant for him and getting into trouble so often?
Let’s look at 15 harmless looking things that are staples in our household and that we need to keep his nose out of.


1. Chocolate

1-chocolate

Chocolate, so commonly used in our homes, is deadly for our dogs. The toxicity in chocolate is caused by a chemical that it contains, called theobromine, which causes arrhythmias in pets. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is. And the impact it leaves on the pet depends on the size of the dog and the quantity of chocolate that it has managed to wolf down. Common symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea and restlessness. You will need to rush your pet to the emergency room if you suspect that it may have ingested chocolate in any form.


2. Vitamin D

2-vitamin-d

Many pet owners give their pets Vitamin D supplements, assuming that our pets are as deficient in these important nutrients as us humans. But most commercial pet foods already contain high levels of these vitamins added. The additional supplements can lead to Vitamin D toxicity.1


3. Rawhide Chews

3-rawhide-chews

Yes. Rawhide chews. We do love to give our pets those. But wouldn’t, if we knew how dangerous they can be, especially those manufactured outside the U.S. These harmless looking treats that our pets love to chew on for hours together, can cause a number of health problems like vomiting, diarrhea, choking, exposure to chemical residues (used while processing the chews), salmonella poisoning and stomach torsion.2


4. Macadamia Nuts

4-macadamia-nuts

Dogs shouldn’t be allowed near macadamia nuts that are highly toxic and can cause weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors, hyperthermia and loss of coordination, if ingested.


5. Avocados

5-avocados

In large quantities Avocados can be dangerous for dogs and cats, as they contain a substance called persin, which is known to cause toxicity in pets. However, there’s a lot of debate around avocado toxicity in pets, and the jury is still out on that. What still establishes avocados as hazardous for pets, are the pits that dogs are known to swallow. These can cause dangerous blockages in their gastrointestinal tract.3


6. Mushrooms

6-mushrooms

It’s hard to tell the difference between toxic and non-toxic varieties of mushrooms, which is why, if you think that your dog has ingested mushrooms of any kind, especially outdoors, it’s best to err on the side of caution and get them examined for symptoms of poisoning.


7. Apple Seeds

7-apple-seeds

Caution needs to be exercised if your pooch is an apple lover. Give him the fruit, but be careful to deseed it first.
A few apple seeds here and there wouldn’t really harm your pet, but if consumed in large quantities, it can cause poisoning, as it contains ‘Amygdaline’, a type of cyanide. And cyanide is known to be a deadly poison for both humans and animals.4


8. Black Widow Spiders

8-black-widow-spiders

The bite of a black widow spider, which releases a deadly neurotoxin can be quite dangerous, resulting in severe muscle pain, blood pressure changes, breathing difficulties, and even paralysis. Your dog may need to be rushed to a vet if you suspect that he may have got bitten. If you live in an area with a lot of foliage, it may be a good idea to check your dog’s bedding frequently for any infestation.


9. Topical Products

9-topical-products

Pets love the smells of the lotions and ointments that we use on our skin. Licking those off our skin or from any surface that they’ve got spilled on, can cause a stomach upset in your pet. Keep all such items safely stored, away from prying noses and don’t let them lick you, if you’ve just used these on your skin.


10. Coffee And Tea

10-coffee-and-tea

Giving your pets caffeine-containing products is a bad idea, as they contain ‘methylxanthines’, a chemical harmful to pets.


11. Antifreeze

11-antifreeze

The Antifreeze that we use in our cars can smell quite sweet to a doggie-nose, and can be quite dangerous if ingested. It may be a good idea to store it away safely out of reach of their curious noses and mouths.


12. Chicken Bones

12-chicken-bones

Feeding your dog any kind of cooked bones can be quite dangerous as the bones may splinter and damage their stomach and intestines. On the other hand, raw bones are a much safer bet when it comes to offering them to your pooch.


13. Alcohol

13-alcohol

Alcohol is an absolute no-no for pets. If ingested, it can cause disorientation, liver and kidney damage and even cardiac arrest in pets. Make sure alcohol isn’t accessible to your furry friends hanging around the next time friends stop by for a drink.


14. Medications

14-medications

We know that our pooches will get into everything. Open purses, backpacks, bedside tables, etc. And these are places where we sometimes keep our medicines. If they ingest any of these medicines, it can even be fatal for them. Keep medicines away from the reach of pets. They’re no better than small children, when it comes to this.


15. Rodenticides

15-rodenticides

Pets can also get poisoned if they run into baits used to kill rats and mice, and ingest them. These products contain a variety of active ingredients that can cause internal bleeding. Identifying the active ingredient is very critical for the proper treatment of a pet that has got poisoned. Call a pet poison hotline or rush to a vet immediately if you think your pet has ingested a rodenticide.

References   [ + ]

Disclaimer: The content is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be construed as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical or healthcare professional.

Email to Your Friends