Blackberries are one of the healthiest food that nature has endowed us. In the ancient Greeks, blackberries were widely consumed because of the belief that it is an effective cure of the mouth and throat, and wards off various diseases.
Things you need to know about blackberries:
– Blackberries are also known as brambleberries, bramble, dewberry, thimbleberry and lawers.
– Blackberries are is a nutritional powerhouse. Just like spinach, apples, plums, and grapes, blackberries are rich in bioflavonoids and Vitamin C.
– Blackberries have one of the highest antioxidant levels of all fruits. These antioxidants are known to combat the free radicals that causes damage up to the cellular level, which is the reason for various chronic conditions.
– Promotes a healthy brain functioning.
– It contains an astringent known as tannins. It provides a number of benefit including intestinal inflammation, alleviate hemorrhoids, and other digestive problems.
– The leaves of the blackberry is as helpful as the fruit. The leaves can be used to treat mild infection of the gums and even sore throats.
– A sufficient amount of vitamin K is present in blackberries, which aids in muscle relaxing, helps blood clot, and regulate menstruation. Sometimes it is used to alleviate labour pains.
Healthy Blackberry Recipes
Blackberry Oat Bran Muffins
Image courtesy: http://www.marthastewart.com/
A recipe that the entire family members will love. Plus it is really healthy.
Actual link: http://www.marthastewart.com/907405/blackberry-oat-bran-muffins?czone=food%2Fproduce-guide-cnt%2Fsummer-produce-recipes&gallery=274904&slide=907405¢er=276955
Chocolate Blackberry Cake
Image courtesy: http://alwayswithbutter.blogspot.com/
A mouthwatering dessert that you can’t simply resist.
Actual link: http://alwayswithbutter.blogspot.com/2011/06/chocolate-blackberry-cake.html
Image courtesy: http://www.ohladycakes.com/
This is a winner recipe for a classic dessert or tea time. This recipe is easy to prepare too.
Actual link: http://www.ohladycakes.com/2011/12/blackberry-pie.html
Blackberry Cheesecake Squares
Image courtesy: http://www.foodnetwork.com/
This two layered dish consist of a thin slightly crunchy crust and a thick flavorful filling, which is made up of soft, cream cheese, eggs, sugar, and vanilla.
Actual link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/blackberry-cheesecake-squares.html
Blackberry Pear Asian Salad
Image courtesy: http://www.driscolls.com/
Adding blackberry to salads is a great way to gain an overflowing amount of fiber and antioxidants. This recipe showcases blackberry, ripe pear, and an Asian-style dressing.
Actual link: http://www.driscolls.com/recipes/view/3057/Blackberry-Pear-Asian-Salad
Blackberry Lemon Meringue Pie
Image courtesy: http://www.dessertsforbreakfast.com/
A delicious recipe that comes with a twist. It consist of a tasty tart crust infused with freshly grated meyer lemon zest.
Actual link: http://www.dessertsforbreakfast.com/2010/03/blackberry-lemon-meringue-pie.html
Blackberry Rosewater Ice Cream
Image courtesy: http://cafejohnsonia.com/
This fun and colorful dessert will surely make your kids liking it better than ice cream.
Actual link: http://cafejohnsonia.com/2013/04/blackberry-rosewater-ice-cream.html
Berry Mousse and Lemon Poppy Seed Cake Verrines
Image courtesy: http://www.tarteletteblog.com/
If you are craving for something light and refreshing then this recipe is for you. The maker of this recipe describe this as a lemon poppy seed cake brushed with straight Limoncello and layered with strawberry and blackberry mousse.
Actual link: http://www.tarteletteblog.com/2009/05/recipe-berry-mousse-and-lemon-poppy.html
Blackberry Mint Brownie Parfait
Image courtesy: http://chasingdelicious.com/
Experience the rich, smooth, and chewy bite of scrumptious chocolate and delicious sweet and tart pop of blackberry and a bit of contrasting flavor of the mint-infused whip cream.
Actual link: http://chasingdelicious.com/blackberry-mint-brownie-parfait/
Blackberry Rhubarb Crumble
Image courtesy: http://www.thekitchn.com/
This crumble is a thick pan of tangy rhubarb and blackberries, topped with a brown sugar cobbler-crumble.
Actual link: http://www.thekitchn.com/summer-dessert-recipe-blackber-147985
Blackberries is a plant native to Europe and is a popular summer delicacies in the Northern temperate regions. Their season usually last from June to September. When buying blackberries, choose the bright, shiny, completely black, and plump in constancy.