Curejoy Expert Gina Hodge Explains:
Tinnitus is the medical term for ringing ears, which is characterized by an occasional ringing, hissing, roaring, whistling, buzzing or tinkling in the absence of any external sound. In Ayurveda this condition is known as “Karnanada“.
Ringing ears can arise anywhere along the auditory pathway, from the outer ear through the middle and inner ear to the brain’s auditory cortex. Studies have shown that tinnitus is more common in people aged above 40 and men in general seem to be more affected by this condition than women.
What Causes Tinnitus
1. A buildup of earwax
2. Damage to the hair cells in the cochlea (auditory portion of the inner ear).
3. Sleep deprivation.
4. Some drugs such as aspirin, antibiotics, antimalarial drugs etc. may cause or worsen tinnitus.
5. Ear infections or injury to the inner ear following certain surgical procedure or radiation therapy to the head or neck.
6. Excess fasting, severe weight loss and excessive exercise.
7. Dental or other problems affecting the mouth.
8. Drinking an excessive amount of alcohol or caffeinated beverages.
9. A rapid change in environmental pressure.
10. xcessive consumption of bitter substances like medicines or vegetables.
11. Depletion of minerals due to over indulgence in sex may also cause tinnitus.
12. Certain diseases such as Meniere’s disease, Acoustic neuroma, Anemia and Labyrinthitis.
13. Vascular problems, such as high blood pressure(hypertension).
14. Neurologic disorders such as multiple sclerosis or migraine headache.
Ayurvedic Management For Tinnitus
– Warm and oily food such as butter and fat should be taken in food.
– Dry fruits and bitter tasting foods should be avoided.
– Sweet and sour foods should be considered.
– Spices such as cinnamon, ginger, cumin, cloves and cardamom should be included in your diet.
– The consumption of nicotine, cocaine or caffeine and alcohol should be avoided.
– Fresh vegetables, fruits, garlic, sea vegetables and kelp should be consumed.
Life Style Management
Certain habits which will help in curing or preventing tinnitus in the long term are as follows:
– Oiling your hair daily and massaging your whole body with oils like sesame oil.
– Applying the extract of Maidenhair tree in the ear or ears affected with tinnitus.
– Practicing deep breathing techniques.
– Avoid watching excess television and excessive usage of computers.
– Avoiding extremely cold environment.
– Exposure to sounds with high frequency should be avoided.
Thus by taking stock of your diet, physical activity, sleep, stress level and also by taking steps to improve your general health, you can effectively reduce the severity and impact of ringing ears.