Since Ayurveda originated in India, westerners and people not exposed to this science, consider it to be propagating Indian food, herbs and spices. Nothing can be far from the truth as Ayurveda encompasses the essence of food and its significance in keeping the dhatus and chakras in a balanced healthy state. These principles apply to any food and when eaten in accordance with your constitution or prakriti (Dosha), season, time of day, and in the right combination and proportion, allow all nutrients from the food to be absorbed and assimilated by the body.
Ayurveda and Milk:
While the prevalent conventional medical science view is divided on the merits of milk, the Ayurvedic view of dairy products is quite different. Cow’s milk is considered sacred food that does not have the energy of violence, unlike other animal products which are dulling for the mind.
Ayurveda considers whole milk an integral part of diet for maintaining health, promoting longevity and spiritual growth. The ancient Ayurvedic manuscript, Astang Sangraha, details the qualities and milk and milk products in the section Ksheer Varga. As a general tonic for all ages, rejuvenator for recuperating patients, milk is one of the few foods that nourishes all seven body tissues (dhatus).
Medicinal properties of Milk and Milk products:
Milk (Non-pasteurized Cow’s Milk):
- Has a sweet taste (rasa).
- It increases the ojas (also called the “fluid of life”), the essence of all the dhatus (tissues).
- Useful for decreasing raised vata and pitta levels. But also increases kapha making it “heavy” to digest.
- Is considered to be an aphrodisiac (vrishya ) strengthening the shukra dhatu (reproductive tissue).
- Cooling effect (shita virya) on the body.
Yogurt (Fresh Homemade):
- Sour in taste.
- Its binding quality (grahi) assists in curing diarrhea and dysentery.
- “Heavy” on the digestive system and heating in nature.
- Useful in decreasing vata, but increases kapha and pitta.
- Supports the blood (rakta dhatu) and reproductive tissues (shukra dhatu).
Butter (Fresh Homemade):
- Tastes sweet, and also a little sour and bitter.
- Controls pitta, and vata imbalances.
- Its binding quality (grahi) can lead to blockages in the circulatory channels (srotas).
- Improves memory, immunity, and strengthens reproductive fluid(shukra dhatu).
Ghee (Homemade clarified Butter):
- Positive influence on mind, intelligence, and memory.
- Triggers digestive fire.
- Nourishes all body tissues (dhatus) and ojas (energy vital fluid).
- Controls vata and pitta imbalances.
Ayurveda bases the above attributes only to cow’s milk. Considering the industrialized mass milk production where hormones, antibiotics, pasteurizing, homogenizing, and long – term refrigeration, are common norms, expecting these qualities to still remain is futile.
Tips to get the best out of milk and milk products:
– Consume organic RAW whole milk from cattle bred cows raised under gentle conditions. If it is unavailable try non homogenized milk or options like dried whole milk and condensed sweetened milk instead of avoiding milk completely.
– Boiling milk helps change the enzyme structure making it easily digestible. Drink warm milk (with nutmeg) for its sedative properties and avoid cold milk as it is increases toxicity and mucus forming qualities.
– Don’t buy low fat milk as it is hard to digest. Instead add water to whole milk to decrease the fat content of your milk, keeping it digestible.
– Use spices like cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves to increase milk’s digestibility and for the great taste.
– Ideally consume milk as a meal by itself or combine it with whole grains.
– Avoid combining milk with sour fruits and berries, bananas, melons, eggs, bread with yeast, beans, nuts, fish, meat, potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, radish, and yogurt.
– Do not eat warm yogurt and avoid eating too much yogurt in spring and winter.
– Yogurt should never be eaten at night or for dinner. – Don’t eat yogurt everyday as it blocks the circulatory channels (srotas).
– Yogurt is heavy and mucus forming and also promotes weight gain and combines poorly with fruits and nuts.
Thanks for stating the long-known benefits of milk. It is my understanding that many Indian people have access to cows who are not injected with hormones, are pasture raised, grass fed, and mate during their seasons when they're ready. As it has been for a very long time in India. Ayurvedic traditions stem from ancient practices and those who want modern practices should probably not look to ancient knowledge, and then put it down for their own agenda. This is a culture of people, not a diet fad.
Can one consume fruits and yogurt made with other milks? Such as making a fruit smoothie with yogurt and coconut milk?
well, I guess the milk there was less pasteurized and treated with chemicals, hormons etc than the milk we get nowadays in shops.....
Ayurveda did not originate in lndia. It was compiled in lndia, but this knowledge originated from God himself. He revealed it to His devotee who then compiled it. By the way, please change the name of this page. You shouldn't post articles in the name of Ayurveda that talk about meat as if it was food.
I agree with all the benefits milk has to offer, but the restrictions placed on how the milk is to be consumed flies directly into the conventional face of how we consume milk here (at least in Canada).
Too bad I can't have it anymore...due to the U.S. dairy practices. I can definitely handle milk from India whenever I visit...
I agree with this article 100%. My family and I eat all diary products, organic and locally produced when possible and are all healthy! My boys only see Dr for routine care and I am recovering from back injury without meds since including whole milk and other animal protiens to my diet. Yes we eat fruits and vegetables too but its all about balance\U0001f601
western industrial diaries, milk, butter, yogurt, cheese (etc...) are some of the worst food you can ever eat. they contain toxic germs and bacterias directly responsible for tons of infections such as cold, sinusitis, bronchitis, throat infections etc...When you want to eat well, one of the very first step you should take is avoiding any industrial diaries. The wise persons who created ayurveda millenium and centuries ago did not have the data of modern industrial food...only eat diaries if they are natural or organic and if your health is good.
Are You Kidding Me?!?! I started following this sight for its healthy info and so far I've been impressed. Although I don't read all as they do not all relate to me. This one is by far the only one that caused me pause. Being vegan I wholeheartedly disagree with this post. I know others totally agree with your opinion on milk and milk products and that is their and your prerogative. I just have to disagree by conscious. Thank you.
have one green tea in the mng,nun n evng aftr evry meal n have honey,real lemon,vth hot watr befr u go to bed ,have lots of pineapple thz helps a lot n gives gud results
correction, milk only when u consume 3/4th water mixed is good and is digestive, else the same milk is non digestive, release's gas, creates a lot of problems.
...Ayurveda considers whole milk an integral part of diet for maintaining health, promoting longevity and spiritual growth. The ancient Ayurvedic manuscript, Astang Sangraha, details the qualities and milk and milk products in the section Ksheer Varga. As a general tonic for all ages, rejuvenator for recuperating patients, milk is one of the few foods that nourishes all seven body tissues (dhatus)....
milk is a potent allergen coz of its complex proteins and reactive with other food stuffs. Suitable for infants as they dont consume anything else. Ayurveda is a bliss, a boon for mankind.
Ayurveda ! Hi , my name is nature and I desined a milk for every animal do not confuse the public with your ignorance , cow's milk is one of the worst things to put in the human body !
Yakup Ozdalga I totally agree with your comments. Meat eaters do not want to accept the horrible facts about their diet. Meat and milk are the worst foods to consume and egg production is disgusting!! Those poor hens suffer a miserable life!! Man is so greedy and uncompassionate!!! There is absolutely no reason for Humans to eat the flesh or drink the milk of another being, and we think we are civilised???
Yes Yakup Özdalga... there should not be any commercial milk Industry in the first place... Cow's milk is for its calves like human mother's milk is for its infants... We should let cows & buffaloes free & live their own life...
No this is not a myth...for a child there's nothing better then mother's milk but drinking milk of another mammal is the worst thing to do as it contains 300% more casein which is so difficult to digest & why shd we try it anyways when God has given wonderful fruits that come predigested and if argument is for calcium there is something called "Sesame Seeds"
Let's be clear on one thing: dairy and egg are some of the most violent industries in the world. If you drink commercial milk then you are supporting: (1) male calves (these are newborn babies) being sent for slaughter, separated from their mothers; (2) milk-yielding cows being forced to pregnancy and exploited as milk machines to the point of exhaustion and being sent to slaughter at the age of about five. Normally they should live till about the age of twenty.Mass produced eggs and dairy are very violent foods.