Pears are a member of the rose family of plants (Rosaceae), which, in addition to roses, contains a long list of fruits including apples, apricots, cherries, chokeberry, crabapples, loquats, peaches, plums, quinces, raspberries, serviceberries, and strawberries as well as the tree nut, almonds. Pears are found in a variety of colors, including many different shades of green, red, yellow/gold, and brown. Many varieties fail to change color as they ripen, making it more difficult to determine ripeness.
Many experts believe that both European pears and Asian pears evolved separately and during the same approximate time in history around 1000 BC. Certain species of pear are also native to parts of Africa. Beginning in the 1500’s, European colonists began to bring pears to North America. While pears were cultivated there during those years, the colonists continued to import most of the pears they consumed from Europe, especially from France.
Within the U.S., the state of Washington is by far the largest grower of pears, accounting for about half of all U.S.-produced pears. California and Oregon follow next, with significant commercial production also occurring in New York and Pennsylvania. The many different varieties of pears commonly found in U.S. groceries all belong to the same category known as European Pear (Pyrus communis). These pears typically have a rounded body that tapers into a neck of various lengths.
TOP 19 AMAZING HEALTH SECRETS OF PEAR:
- Fights Free Radicals: The presence of vitamin C, vitamin K and copper in pears fights against free radicals that damage our body cells through oxidative stress.
- Lowers Cholesterol: Abundant fiber in pears, reduces the cholesterol in the body, protects us from heart diseases and reduces the risk of stroke by up to 50%. Alsohigh pectin content helps lower cholesterol levels.
- Prevents Cancer: Fiber present in pears binds to carcinogenic cells and aids expulsion preventing colon cancer. Also contains a plethora of antioxidants reducing cell damage byfree radicals.
- Hypo-Allergenic: Pears have long been the first fruit fed to infants considering not only their easy digestive properties but even more for their lower probability to induce any allergic reactions.
- Blood Sugar Regulator: Enjoy the sweetness of this wonder fruit without the guilt of affecting your sugar levels. Pear’s low glycemic index along with high fiber content helps keep your sugar levels in check. Very few fruits can provide the quality of nutrients with the taste, making it an ideal diabetic fruit.
- Immunity Booster: Heighten your internal security system against external attacks by making pears a part of your fruit diet. Anti-oxidants like vitamin C and copper are responsible for prepping the immune system up.
- Strengthens Bones: A pH imbalance in our body can create havoc on the density and quality of our bones. A proper pH balance with adequate calcium is a must for our skeletal fitness. Crucial element Boron in pears helps the body to consume calcium, preventing and slowing down the onset of bone related disorders, including osteoporosis.
- Infuses Energy: Pears provide easy-to-absorb, instant fructose and glucose source for replenish our energy stores. Especially helpful to recharge yourself from fatigue post workouts and strenuous activity.
- Digestion Aid: The insoluble fiber smoothly maneuvers through the digestive tract and prevents colon polyps. The diuretic properties of pectin aids in toxic waste disposal and its laxative effect regulates bowel movement and cures constipation.
- During Pregnancy: One of the key elements for a smooth pregnancy is Folic acid. This provides the fetus with required impetus to keeps congenital defects like spinal deformities (Spina Bifida) and neural tube defects at bay.
- Infant Food: Pear has been the food of choice for weaning (first food post mother’s milk) children because it is hypoallergenic, low in acid content and aids smooth digestion.
- Organ Tonic: Taken regularly, pears have shown excellent curative properties against diseases related to the gallbladder (gallstones), colon (colitis), and bones (arthritis and gout).
- Regulates Blood Pressure: Pears help regulate blood pressure and prevent stroke, as it contains anti-carcinogen glutathione and a variety of anti-oxidants.
- Fever Care: Consuming pear juice instills a cooling effect within the body, lowering high temperatures associated with fever. Also provides nutrients alleviating convalescence.
- Breathing Soother: Summer heat can contribute to increased phlegm especially in kids. Pear juice not only provides a cooling effect but also help loosen phlegm aiding it expulsion and providing instant relief.
- Throat Soother: Pears help alleviate problems associated with throat inflammation, especially during summers. Pear juice cools and nourishes the throat and soothes your vocal chords.
- Skin Care: Fiber is a major contributor to healthy, youthful, supple skin as it controls blood sugar and avoids damage to collagen due to frequent sugar spikes. Antioxidants Vitamin C, vitamin K and copper combating harmful free radicals preventing wrinkles, oily skin, acne, and pimples. Natural humectants in pears keep the skin hydrated and it also acts as a natural scrub.
- Hair Care: Pearscontain a natural sugar alcohol named ‘sorbitol’ or ‘glucitol’, which nourishes hair follicles, nourishes and hydrates the scalp, reduces hair dryness, tames frizzy hair, and restores lost shine.
- Nutritional Benefits: Pears are excellent source of water-soluble fiber. They contain vitamins A, B1, B2, C, E, folate and niacin. It is also rich in copper, phosphorus, and potassium, with lesser amounts of calcium, chlorine, iron, magnesium, sodium and sulfur.
There are no proven scientific reports indicating that Pears cause any allergic reactions. In fact it is considered so safe that mothers feed mashed pears as the first food to infants.
Just to be on the safer side, it is recommended to stick to the daily recommended amounts and avoid overeating Pears especially for pregnant and lactating mothers.
me encanta la pera la compro en casa incluso es rica cuando haces un rico batido con yogurk cuyo te ayuda a tonificar el cuerpo musculos y te refresca mucho la pera mansana o cualquier fruta es vienvenida a la casa aparte tenemos una rica nutricion. inviertan mas tiempo en frutas y vegetales que junk food cuyo les puede hacer dano.coman sano.