Curejoy Expert Claude Butler Explains:
Ayurveda claims that ghee has a host of health and cooking benefits and is beneficial for both the mind and the spirit. Ghee is made by a simple process of boiling butter and then removing the butterfat, leaving behind the proteins (casein and whey) and the milk solids (which includes lactose). This is known as clarified butter. If eaten in moderation, ghee can provide your body with higher concentrations of essential nutrients that aren’t available in butter.
Health Benefits of Ghee
Here is a list of important health benefits obtained by consuming ghee.
- High Smoke point: Since it cooks at a higher point than almost any other oil, the advantage is that it won’t break into free radicals like that in other oils. Free radicals can potentially be harmful to health, and when oils reach beyond their smoking point, it can be hazardous to a person’s respiratory system. Ghee also has a higher smoke point than butter.
- Reduce Risk Of Heart Disease: Ghee is rich in conjugated linoleic acid, or CLA, a fatty acid known to be protective against carcinogens, artery plague and diabetes. Because of this, researchers say ghee can be used to prevent cardiovascular disease.
- Weight Loss: When ghee is derived from grass-fed cows, the butter contains cancer-fighting fatty acid that aids in weight loss.
- Better Digestion: Ghee is rich in butyric acid. Beneficial intestinal bacteria convert fiber into butyric acid and then use that for energy and intestinal wall support. According to the author of Prescription of Nutrional Healing, butyric acid is “a monounsaturated fatty acid that reduces inflammatory conditions, reduces seepage of undigested food particles, and aids in repair of the mucosal wall.”
- Lowers Cholesterol: Ghee is high in palmitic acid, which is artery-clogging. Studies have shown that ghee can reduce cholesterol both in the serum and intestine. This is done by triggering an increased secretion of biliary lipids.
- Skin: Ghee is known to purify the skin and give it an added glow. It acts as a natural moisturizer when used regularly. It’s also known to reduce burning sensation of skin, heal scars, chicken pox scars and more.
As im sure you all know..Ghee is dairy and dairy means killing male calves (Bobby calves) ... Please use your sense of compassion and use something else
That's good. But till today i was illusioned that such greesy stuffs are injurious to health specially heart. Hey should I start splurging on it or otherwise. Pl.
If you warm melt butter in a pan it will seperate into three parts the middle bit is the Ghee..but ..easier just to buy it..\U0001f600
Consider making it at home. Quite easy. Start with organic butter, melt it on low heat until it starts to turn brown. Wait till it cools and there you have it, pure homemade ghee. Keep stirring it every few minutes. At times some solid fat sticks to the bottom of the pan, you can use it too. It is so yummy. If you can extract the butter out of unprocessed cow milk, that would be best. I am not sure of the quality of the canned ghee from the Asian stores.
You have to buy it at a store that sells mostly organic foods, like Sprouts or Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. You can also order online at Amazon.
High cholesterol is due to your system producing the cholesterol, not necessarily the food that you eat... It is saturated fat, however, in moderation, palmitic acid might not be entirely bad for you, as it does display mild antioxidant and anti-atherosclerotic properties
As long as you don't go over 10 grams of saturated fat from other sources... 1tsp of ghee contains 3 grams
What about the 3 grams of saturated fat that's more than any other healthy oils that usually have 2 grams of it?
Terria Swanson here is good sub for butter when coconut oil just won't cut it for flavor. I didn't realize it had so many health benefits, but I've bought it at Orchard and it is good!
I hate ghee - it makes me react the same as casein/dairy even though I was assured that it wouldn't.
The Western World is forced to eat their words whether it be Natural Ghee or Coconut Oil.n they have started reversing their opinions...n pathetic that its Indians and Asians who are cynical and kowtowing the discarded Western Ideals for their commercial benefit blindly..
Ghee is much better than oil. You can use ghee for hair treatment, for lips making soft and more. Ghee is best remedy.
#5 Lowers Cholesterol: Ghee is high in palmitic acid, which is artery-clogging. Is this not a contradiction? Am I the only one confused by this?