Curejoy Expert Gina Hodge Explains:
Stretch marks are mainly found in the abdominal wall but can also occur over the thighs, upper arms, buttocks and breasts. While pregnancy is the main cause behind stretch marks, other reasons can be sudden gain or loss in weight, rapid growth, heredity factors, stress and changes in physical conditions.
Home Remedies to reduce/eliminate stretch marks:
- Oils: Apply warm olive oil, almond oil, or sesame oil regularly during and after pregnancy.
- Turmeric: Mix a teaspoon of turmeric powder to 100 ml of olive oil or almond oil and apply everyday, 10 minutes before bath.
- Vitamin E: Use a herbal moisturizer with vitamin E oil regularly.
- Potato juice: Cut a medium-sized potato into thick slices rub each piece, one at a time, gently on the stretch marks making sure the liquid from the potato covers the affected area. Wash off with lukewarm water once the juice dries.
- Tea tree oil: Take some tea tree oil and massage gently on the affected area.
- Wheat Germ Oil: Apply directly a mix of 1 tbsp wheat germ oil + 1 tbsp calendula oil on areas with stretch marks.
- Glycerin and lemon: Gently rub a mix of 1-2 drops of glycerin in lemon, two times a day.
- Oats: Use oats mixed with milk as a natural scrub for stretch marks.
- Vaseline: Apply Vaseline cream directly on the stretch marks
- Exfoliate skin using sugar. Mix a tablespoon of raw sugar with some almond oil and a few drops of lemon juice. Mix it well and apply it on the stretch marks and other skin areas before taking a shower.
- Aloe vera: Make a mixture with one-fourth cup of aloe vera gel, oil from 10 vitamin E capsules and oil from 5 vitamin A capsules. Rub this mixture onto the skin until fully absorbed. Repeat this process daily. Individually Aloe vera gel can also be applied.
- Cucumber: Mix equal quantities of cucumber juice and lemon juice, apply the mixture on the stretch marks.
- Vinegar: Mix olive oil with vinegar and water and use it as a night cream. This will keep your skin stay moisturized and also exfoliate the skin.
- Cocoa butter: Apply cocoa butter over the affected area at least two times a day. Or make a mixture of 1/2 cup cocoa butter, one tablespoon of wheat germ oil, two teaspoons of grated beeswax and one teaspoon each of apricot kernel oil and vitamin E oil. Heat this mixture until the beeswax melts. You can store the mixture in an airtight container in the refrigerator and apply it to your stretch marks two to three times a day. This mixture will make your skin more hydrated and smooth.
- Castor Oil: Gently massage some castor oil in circular motions for at least 15 minutes. Wrap the area with a thin, cotton cloth. Using a hot water bottle or a heating pad, apply some heat (over the cloth to prevent scalding) to the affected area for at least a half an hour daily for a minimum of one month.
- Apricot Mask: Apply a paste of 2-3 deseeded apricots and leave it on for about 15-20 minutes, once everyday. Wash off with warm water.
- Alfalfa leaves: Mix some alfalfa powder with a few drops of chamomile oil to form a smooth paste. Massage the paste into the affected area two to three times a day. Repeat this daily
Diet for reducing stretch marks
- Vitamin K: Present in green vegetables, like cabbage, spring onions and pickled cucumber.
- Protein, Zinc, Vitamin C and Vitamin E: Foods abundant like green salad, milk, fish, nuts and citrus fruits. Peppers, guavas, dark leafy greens, broccoli, gooseberries, papaya, oranges, strawberries are high in vitamin C. Spinach, nuts, kale, olive oil, tropical fruits like papaya and kiwi, wheat all are rich in Vitamin E.
- Avoid saturated fats
You can get it at most any pharmacy,you may have to ask for it by name, I have also seen it in Walmart near the maturity clothes and in with things like formula etc.
Mederma is a scar cream used to fade scars and lighten them. But now they make a cream for preventing stretch marks. The key is to use this cream during ur pregnancy and u will not get any. Plus not gaining to much weight other than the recommended amount ur doc says u shld gain.
There s no cream or oils to make them disappear, the only thing that helps is painful costly laser treatments, otherwise they will stay for good. You can try moisturizing your skin a few times a day before you get them, once that skin is splitting no going back, sorry \U0001f615\U0001f615 so just carry your stripes as a proud zebra.
Prevention is the best cure.try not to gain too much weight during pregnancy....then your skin wont stretch to the point of scarring. Babies only weigh 5-10 lbs on average so gaining more than 40lbs during pregnancy is "too much".
Yes, it's the name of a product that has been around for years and it main content is Lin seed oil which is all natural and help give your skin more elasticity, I still use it once a week all over just to help with the natural aging process.