During pregnancy shift to a nutritious diet plan, consume foods rich in calcium and iron, drink lots of water and follow a healthy lifestyle. This will help nourish the baby's growth. Post delivery make sure the baby gets adequate amount of breast milk. Control the amount of oil and spices you use on your food and drink warm water until the baby is being breastfed.
Having a Healthy Baby
How to have a healthy baby? Every expecting parent would want to have a healthy baby; hence the most important focus during pregnancy should be of taking care of the mother and the expected baby. Kaumarbhratya is a branch of Ayurveda, dedicated to childcare. Childcare in Ayurveda begins a long time before the child is actually born. All pregnant women must follow a healthy diet and lifestyle and avoid a few things to have a healthy baby.
See your practitioner before becoming pregnant and evaluate the following conditions.
- Family history: Your doctor might give suggestions if there are any genetic or birth defects in your family.
- It is important to discuss with your health care provider if you are suffering from conditions such as high blood pressure or diabetes which may affect your pregnancy.
- You should be tested and treated, before you get pregnant for any sexually transmitted disease such as Chlamydia, HIV, gonorrhea and others which can not only harm you, but also your baby.
- Start changing your food habits to include a healthy variety of foods. A good nutritious diet should be consumed on a daily basis.
- Ayurveda suggests a balanced vegetarian diet, with foods rich iron and calcium. Calcium can be obtained by eating dry dates, poppy seeds, almonds, dried beans milk and milk products while iron and folic acid are present in black raisins, figs, saffron, spinach, pomegranate and apples.
- An expecting mother should consume milk, Ayurvedic ghee and fresh juices of sweet seasonal fruits for a healthy baby.
- Pregnant women should drink lots of water.
- They should eat foods rich in iron. Iron can be found in food products such as dry fruits, salmon, dried beans and peas among others.
- Pregnant women should have a healthy lifestyle to have a safe delivery and a healthy baby.
- According to Ayurveda, breast milk has no substitution for a new born kid.
- The child should be given good and nutritious substance from the beginning to make the base of his health strong.
- Minimize oil and spices until the child is being breastfed.
- Drink warm water instead of room temperature water throughout the day.
Avoid Products that Can Harm You and Your Baby
- Smoking poses a great risk to you and your baby.
- Avoid alcohol as when a pregnant woman drinks alcohol, so does her baby.
- Avoid raw food items, unpasteurized milk and milk products.
- Cut down on caffeine. Drinking more than 200mg of caffeine a day increases the risk of miscarriage and low birth weight.