Sprinkle salt on 2 eggplants, cut in 1" slices, and leave for 30 mins. Soak excess water, brush with olive oil, and broil until golden. Dice these and add 1 red bell and 1 jalepeno pepper, 4 scallions, 1/2 cup each cilantro and pomegranate seeds, and 1/4 cup chopped walnuts. Drizzle with a sauce mixed by whisking 1/4 cup each of pomegranate molasses, olive oil, and vinegar, 1 clove garlic, 1 tsp pepper flakes, and salt.
Eggplant has very little nutritional value, but it does have a lot of fiber, an element that cannot be discounted. It is great for weight loss. One cup of eggplant contains only 25 calories and it can keep you full for long. The trick is how to cook it.
Eggplant Salad Recipe
1 cup of eggplant has only 25 calories and lots of fiber; so it’s great for those on a weight loss diet.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
- 2 medium-sized eggplants
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 scallions
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup pomegranate molasses
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- Cut the eggplants into 1-inch thick slices. Place the slices in a colander, sprinkle with salt, and allow them to sit for 30 minutes. This removes the bitterness and helps the eggplant absorb more oil.
- Gently pat the slices to squeeze out some of the water.
- Place the slices on a cookie sheet, brush with olive oil, and then broil until golden. Remember to broil and not fry. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Dice the broiled eggplant slices and place in a bowl. Add the rest of the vegetables, cilantro, walnuts, and pomegranate seeds.
- Whisk the molasses with vinegar, olive oil, garlic, pepper flakes, and salt. Drizzle over the salad and toss gently.
- Allow the salad to rest at least couple hours before serving.
Eggplant is versatile and it can be used in appetizers, main dishes, soups, salads, and desserts. Try something new and healthy today! Share your recipes here.