Sprinkle salt on 2 eggplants, cut in 1" slices; leave for 30 mins. Soak excess water, brush with olive oil and broil, until golden. Dice these and add 1 red bell and 1 jalepano pepper, 4 scallions, 1/2 cup each pomegranate seeds and cilantro, 1/4 cup walnuts. Drizzle with whisked mix of 1/4 cup each of pomegranate molasses, olive oil and vinegar, 1 clove garlic, 1 tsp pepper flakes and salt.
Eggplant has very little nutritional value, but it does have a lot of fiber, an element that cannot be discounted. It is great at weight loss. One cup of eggplant contains only 25 calories and it can keep you full for long. The trick is how to cook it.
Eggplant Salad Recipe
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
- 2 medium sized eggplants
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 scallions
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup pomegranate molasses
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- Cut the eggplants into 1-inch thick slices. Place the slices in a colander, sprinkle with salt and allow them to sit for 30 minutes. This helps remove the bitterness and helps absorb more oil.
- Gently pat the slices to squeeze some of the water.
- Place the slices on a cookie sheet, brush with olive oil and then broil until golden. Remember to broil and not fry. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Dice the broiled eggplant slices and place in a bowl. Add the rest of the vegetables, the cilantro, the walnuts and the pomegranate seeds.
- Whisk the molasses with the vinegar, the olive oil, the garlic, the pepper flakes and the salt. Drizzle over the salad and toss gently.
- Allow the salad to rest at least couple hours before serving.
Eggplant is also versatile as it can be used in appetizers, main dishes, soups, salads and desserts. Try something new and healthy today!