Mix 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup cornmeal, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp salt, and 4 tsp baking powder. Pour in 2 heaping tablespoons of applesauce, 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, and 1 cup unsweetened almond milk and blend till the mix is smooth. Pour into a greased baking dish. Bake in a preheated oven, 425°F for 22 to 25 mins. Cool for 10 mins. Flip it onto a flat surface. Cool again.
Cornbread is the definition of comfort food. It’s sweet and salty, fluffy and warm… It’s perfection.
I had never made it from scratch and haven’t had it in awhile, but I was making a big crock pot full of vegetable soup and just knew that cornbread would pair perfectly.
So I set off to make my own!
Initially, I wasn’t planning on making it from scratch. But, I was disappointed that many of the mixes contained milk and required the addition of eggs.
In a way, this was likely a blessing in disguise since I ended up making my own thus leaving out many of the unnecessary ingredients like colorings and preservatives.
My recipe turned out amazing which is surprising for a first try! It’s a little denser than traditional cornbread mixes, but it was still fluffy and flaky. This recipe pairs perfectly with some chili or vegetable soup. Try it out and let me know what you think!
Ingredients (makes 6-8 servings)
- 2 heaping tablespoons of applesauce (I used my homemade applesauce)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar (I used turbinado sugar)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F and spray a glass baking dish with no-stick cooking spray (I used a 7″ x 11″ dish, but an 8″ square will work also).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the applesauce, almond milk, and oil and combine just until smooth, being careful not to overmix.
- Gently pour into baking dish and bake for 22-25 minutes (until you can pierce with fork in middle and it comes out clean).
- After removing from oven, let it cool for about 10-15 minutes, then flip upside down on a cooling rack or flat surface and allow to cool for another 10 minutes.