A bit of flavor of the sea with a special Latin touch. That's the vegan ceviche for you. This one for sure tastes yum and feels awesome. Give it a try.
Learn how to make a fun Latin dish with a vegan twist! Vegan ceviche on the Healthy Voyager’s global kitchen. Enjoy a flavorful and refreshing dish with this fun, healthy and easy recipe by The Healthy Voyager!
- 1 quart lightly salted water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup oyster or Portobello mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 cup hearts of palm, drained and finely chopped (do your best to find them palm hearts that are not canned with salt water)
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus several sprigs for garnish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 cup jicama, finely diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 small avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Several lime slices, for garnish
- Crackers or tortilla chips for serving
- Bring 1 quart salted water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons of the lime juice. Add mushrooms and hearts of palm, cover and return to a boil. Immediately remove from heat and drain water.
- Cover with the lid and set aside, letting mushrooms and palm hearts steam in a closed pot for 10 minutes.
- Drain mushrooms and palm hearts again to remove the remaining liquid and put in a large bowl to cool completely.
- Toss with remaining 1/2 cup of lime juice, cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- In a small strainer, rinse chopped onion under cold water, then shake off excess liquid.
- Add to mushroom and palm heart bowl along with chopped cilantro, garlic, olive oil, cucumber, jicama, tomato, and avocado.
- Mix gently and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 hours.
- Spoon the ceviche into martini glasses or small bowls. Garnish with sprigs of cilantro and slices of lime. Serve with crackers or tortilla chips.
Watch the video below!