Saute 1 tsp minced garlic in 1/4 cup non-dairy melted butter. Add beefless strips (1 pkg). Cook for 5 min. Mix in 1 cup beefless broth, salt+pepper, and 1 tsp worcestershire sauce. Cover, simmer for 5 mins. Stir in 1/2 cup more beefless broth and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour. Blend in 1/2 container Toffuti Sour Cream. Serve over boiled, strained noodles (1 package egg-free wide).
When I’m feeling inspired to create a new recipe, my goal is usually not to “veganize” a recipe that traditionally contains meat. Since eating vegan, I’ve eaten a wider variety of foods than I ever did before, so I don’t feel the need to recreate the same old recipes that I used to eat – I have a bunch of new favorites now!
But occasionally cravings happen. And the other day beef and noodles over mashed potatoes just sounded amazing.
Let me clarify, what I was really craving were those creamy noodles. But I thought, “What the hell, why not recreate the whole shebang!” And thus vegan “beef” and noodles over mashed potatoes was born.
I’m not going to walk you through the steps to create mashed potatoes. Feel free to experiment on your own or look up another recipe if you aren’t sure how to make some yummy, delicious homemade mashed potatoes. However, I will walk you through the “beef” and noodles portion of the meal. If making this meal vegan or dairy free is a priority to you, then pay close attention to the ingredients.
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 1 package of Beefless Strips
- 1 package of egg-free wide noodles (you may have to do a bit of ingredient reading on the label to find an egg-free version, but I was able to find some very easily)
- 1/2 container of Toffuti Sour Cream
- 1 1/2 cups beefless broth
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup non-dairy butter
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add package of noodles.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan, add minced garlic and stir frequently for about 5 minutes at medium-low heat.
- Add the beefless strips to saucepan and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of broth, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining broth and flour, stir continuously at a simmer.
- Lastly, add in sour cream and stir to combine, lower heat and serve over strained noodles.