If you cannot decide between sweet or savory potatoes for your next dinner, then I would recommend this dish is for you. These baked mashed potatoes combine sweet, savory, and sour flavors into a unique dish.
Savory Potato Gratin With Sour Cherry Stuffing [Recipe]
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dried sour cherries
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 4 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Mediterranean Sumac
- Zest of one lemon
- Zest of one orange
- Fresh ginger
- Salt to taste
- Peel russet potatoes, cut in halves and then place in a heavy pot.
- Cover with water and season with salt and turmeric.
- Bring to boil and simmer until the potatoes are soft and ready to be mashed.
- Place the cooked potatoes in a bowl. Save the cooking liquid.
- Mash the potatoes, add lemon zest, lemon juice, grated fresh ginger, 2 tablespoons olive oil and salt.
- Add little of the cooking liquid if the potatoes are a little dry.
- Spread the mashed potatoes at the bottom of the baking dish.
To Make The Stuffing
- Saute onions in rest of the olive oil until transparent.
- Add the sour cherry, the crushed walnuts, the chili pepper, the garlic and salt.
- Spoon this stuffing over the mashed potatoes.
- Now, boil the sweet potatoes in water until they are soft.
- Remove from the water, drain the water, peel the sweet potatoes and place them in a bowl.
- Mash the potatoes, add the orange zest, the orange juice, freshly grated ginger, and salt.
- Spread the mashed sweet potatoes over the cherry stuffing.
- Bake the mashed potatoes in the oven, take out of the oven, sprinkle with sumac and serve.