Saute the whites of a bunch of spring onions and 1/2 tbsp minced garlic in 2 tbsp coconut oil. Add and stir in 4 cups grated sweet potatoes, salt and pepper, and 1/2 cup veg/chicken broth and reduce it. Toss in 1 cup cooked green peas, 2 scrambled eggs, 2 tsp soy sauce, 1/2 cup toasted dessicated coconut, 1/2 bunch chopped cilantro, spring onion greens, and sesame oil.
This is a rice-less meal that uses shredded sweet potatoes as the ‘rice’ with an Asian-inspired twist. Sweet potatoes are a low glycemic starch and are rich in vitamin A.
We have amped this recipe up with the addition of toasted coconut for extra fiber and heart-healthy fats. Feel free to add additional vegetables or to pair with a salad. This is a recipe that takes minutes to make which is ideal for those nights that you are short on time.
Sweet Potato Coconut Egg Fried ‘Rice’ [Recipe]
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 2-3 large servings
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled (about 4 cups grated)
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, low-sodium (or chicken broth, if not vegetarian)
- 2 organic eggs, beaten
- 1 cup cooked green peas
- 1/2 cup of toasted, unsweetened desiccated coconut (or regular)
- 1 bunch of spring onions
- 2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce (gluten-free, ideally)
- 1/2 tbsp of minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, loosely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sesame oil, to taste (optional)
- Grate the potatoes with a coarse cheese grater.
- In a large skillet, place in your oil.
- Then, add in the whites of the onions and garlic.
- Let cook for 2 minutes and then add in the sweet potato ‘rice’.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Stirring frequently, let cook for 1 minute. Then, add the broth and stir. Let reduce fully.
- While the rice is reducing, place a medium skillet over medium heat and pour in eggs. Scramble and set aside.
- Once the rice has reduced, taste. If still crunchy, stir and let cook for another 2 minutes. When done, fold in the egg and peas.
- Add the soy sauce, toasted coconut, cilantro, green onion greens and sesame oil and toss everything to combine. Once combined, divide into bowls and enjoy!