The Digestion Process
Ingested food passes down the oesophagus (food pipe) into the stomach. Stomach cells produce mucus which protects the stomach lining from damage from digestive acids and chemicals, produced by the stomach itself. The oesophagus cell linings are more delicate and have little protection from acid.
A sphincter (a ring of muscule that contracts to close an opening) called lower esophageal sphincter (LES), is present at the junction of the oesophagus and stomach. This valve relaxes to allow food into the stomach and closes preventing food and stomach acid leaking up (refluxing) into the oesophagus.
This can cause symptoms such as heartburn, burping, chest pain and in severe cases acid reflux disease, also known as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
What Causes Acid Reflux Disease?
- In some cases the upper part of the stomach and LES move above the diaphragm, negating the diaphragm’s blocking of stomach acids moving into the oesophagus. This abnormality is called Hiatal hernia.
- Eating a heavy meal and lying on your back or bending over at the waist
- Snacking close to bedtime
- Eating certain foods, such as citrus, tomato, chocolate, mint, garlic, onions, or spicy or fatty foods
- Drinking certain beverages, such as alcohol, carbonated drinks, coffee, or tea
- Being pregnant
- Taking aspirin, ibuprofen, certain muscle relaxers, or blood pressure medications.
What Are the Symptoms of Acid Reflux Disease?
- Heartburn: A burning sensation upwards towards the chest and throat.
- Bloating, burping and nausea.
- Dysphagia — a narrowing of your esophagus, which creates the sensation of food being stuck in your throat.
- Continual Hiccups.
- A persistent cough, particularly at night sometimes occurs. This is due to the refluxed acid irritating the windpipe (trachea).
- Mouth and throat symptoms such as gum problems, bad breath, sore throat, and hoarseness.
- Severe chest pain.
Natural Home Remedied For Fighting Acid Reflux
Check out the Natural and Simple Home Remedies that you can help you prevent and quickly fightback episodes of Acid reflux:
I would drink like 5-10table spoons it's was worth it for me I had acid reflex for like 4 years from age 10-13/14 I drank some apple cider vinegar because I saw a documentary on natural food cures
Start out eating 2 Tbl. Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil, everyday. It works to heal not to just maintain.
Ranjitha Rao ..I started out with taking two tablespoons with 8oz glass of water three times a day , upon waking and repeating this dosage again 30 min before lunch and again before dinner. I did this for few months, now I just do it one a day upon waking, if I feel like a flair up I just take twice a day.. ;)
Can anyone please tell how and what quantity I should be consuming. I have severe acid reflux, for that reason went to ER 2 months back.
I had Acid reflex at age 12 drank some AC vinegar never had a problem with acid reflex disease ever again.!
It has been quite a long time since I actually went to the doctor.Recently I have been using natural home remedies for pretty much everything. Not only are hospitals and doctors expensive but sometimes they can be useless. I would highly suggest that everybody learn more about natural remedies. If you are interested you should really take a look at this story. http://anxiousreview.com/naturalremedies/