Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat 1 chopped cauliflower with 1 tbsp olive oil, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper for 35 mins. In a pan, heat 1 tbsp vinegar, 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, ¼ cup parsley, ¼ olive oil and ½ tsp mustard seeds for 5mins. In a bowl, add 15 oz chickpeas, 6 oz spinach and ¼ cup olives, the roasted cauliflower and the mix from the pan. Stir and enjoy.
I love roasting vegetables in the fall. Butternut squash, carrots, cauliflower, zucchini, peppers, onions, tomatoes — I could go on. The best thing about roasting veggies is that you can extract a ton of flavor without adding too much fat or calories. It’s very simple to do, and you can make a big batch. You can also use it throughout the week in different recipes (soups, casseroles, salads, etc.)
This recipe makes cauliflower the star, roasted to perfection and tossed with a warm dressing. Other ingredients include chickpeas for protein, spinach for some greens, and Kalamata olives for a nice tangy bite. It’s also vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free.
I’m sharing this recipe in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month — I’ve teamed up with Pink Ribbon Produce and its produce partners to help raise awareness about increasing fruits and veggies in our diets (the goal is at least 2.5 cups a day) to help lower cancer risk (cruciferous veggies like cauliflower, and greens like spinach, are especially great for prevention).
Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Spinach and Chickpeas
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Serves: 4
- Calories per serving: 332
- Fat per serving: 19.3g
- Nutritional Info Per Serving: 332 Calories, 19.3g Fat (2.2g Saturated), 910mg Sodium, 34.8g Carbs, 10.2g Fiber, 0g Sugar, 9.6g Protein
- 1 large head Cauliflower, outer leaves removed, cut or broken into bite-size florets/pieces
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 oz Baby Spinach
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet or sheet pan with parchment or foil. Toss the cauliflower pieces with the 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Spread on the prepared sheet and roast in the oven for about 35 minutes or until golden brown, tossing the vegetables once midway through cooking time.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, heat the vinegar and mustard seeds in a small saucepan over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the Dijon mustard, parsley and olive oil. Keep warm.
- Place the chickpeas, spinach and olives in a large bowl. Add the hot roasted cauliflower and warm dressing, tossing to wilt the spinach a bit and coat all ingredients lightly with dressing.
- Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Image and Recipe courtesy: http://www.ebfarm.com/
Visit Picky Eater's for healthy recipes to try at home!