So long as the saying, “All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy” was pointing towards Jack, the rest of us didn’t worry much. Today’s work culture, and the over emphasis on digital screens to digest most of our incoming social material, means hours spent either warming our poor work seats, or eyeballs pasted on bright screens.
However “unhealthy” the feeling, and the constant urge to get up and get out, we realize every second, that there is no immediate salvation or magic solution. There are obligations to fulfill and bills to pay, and things aren’t getting cheaper or easier, with every passing day.
And to make it more painful, read what studies have to say about this phenomena (as if you don’t know this):
- Higher risk of metabolic syndrome, resulting in increased plasma triglyceride levels, decreased levels of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, and decreased insulin sensitivity…ouch!
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome….the mouse trap!
- Back, Neck and Shoulder problems: Cervical Spondylitis, Slipped disc, etc. are more common topics of discussion than our favorite sitcoms.
- EYE AND VISION PROBLEMS: Eye fatigue or eye strain (asthenopia), blurred vision, burning, itching or tearing eyes….. sadly your fancy glass frames will not help save face.
- And then the rest…..appetite loss, insomnia, tension, stress,…..the infinite list.
The salvation lies in treating our bodies to some restful spa experience, through some easy Yoga techniques, while sitting exactly where we are….at your favorite office desk. If the mention of “Yoga” brought out an optical projection of you twisting and turning and getting into a tangle, and being the butt of office jokes, switch that screen off.
This video provides some simple yet effective tips to give yourself a break, de-stress, and relax your sore eyes, neck, shoulder and back muscles.