Heart palpitations occur due to anxiety and stress. Coughing a couple of times, drinking ice cold water, having a cold shower, slow deep breathing, avoiding stress, exercising and consuming magnesium rich foods can help restore normal rhythm. The Valsalva maneuver is also very effective; hold nose, close mouth and try exhaling.
1. Coughing Hard: The build up of pressure in your chest while coughing will cease the irregularity in heart beat and relieve the uncomfortable sensation.
2. Slow, Deep Breaths: Inhaling and exhaling slowly will bring about relief to irregular heart rhythm, especially if the palpitations are due to anxiety and panic attacks.
3. Drinking Ice Cold Water: It is found that gulping down ice cold water gives a sudden shock and helps restore normal heart rhythm.
4. Cold Shower: Just like drinking ice cold water, an ice cold shower will provide a shock to the chest and help bring back normality in heart rate pace.
5. Valsalva Maneuver: Stimulating the vagus nerve with this move is beneficial in reducing heart palpitations. Pinch your nose and close the mouth and attempt to exhale. You can also place your fist over your mouth and try to exhale as if blowing into a balloon.
6. Magnesium Rich Foods: Magnesium deficiency causes heart palpitations. Kale, spinach, oatmeal, nuts, avocados, butter and yogurt are recommended foods.
7. Stress Management: Keep stress levels to the minimum. Long walks, relaxing baths, listening to soothing music are all indulgences that help keep away stress.
8. Exercise: Regular exercise is highly effective at keeping you fit and healthy. It ensures that heart palpitations are prevented. Jogging, swimming, badminton are ideal.
Read more here: Top Home Remedies For Heart Palpitations
How To Sit Correctly To Avoid Heart Problems?
Should I Eat Avocado Daily To Prevent Heart Problems?
5-Minute Deep Breathing Exercise For Increased Vitality
Manage Stress: Don’t Let The World Weigh You Down