Gynecomastia is the condition of enlarged breasts in men, caused by an imbalance of the hormones estrogen and testosterone. The other causes include obesity, aging, kidney failure, excess alcohol consumption and more. Some of the most effective home remedies for this condition are turmeric, red clover, guggul, exercise and milk thistle. Also, if you're suffering from gynecomastia you must completely avoid soy products, tree tea oil, lavender oil and exposure to pollutants.
Gynecomastia is the condition of enlarged breasts in men, caused by an imbalance of the hormones estrogen and testosterone. It is very common in teenagers and is caused by puberty changes. The other causes could also be age, hypogonadism, low testosterone, hyperthyroidism, chemotherapy, radiation treatment, chronic liver disease, exposure to pollutants, kidney failure, use of marijuana, excess alcohol consumption, malnutrition, side effects of certain medications and also being overweight.
Some of the most common signs and symptoms of gynecomastia include swollen breast glandular tissue and breast tenderness.The condition may require medical attention if it is accompanied by pain, swelling and discharge from one or both the nipples. Here are a few home remedies that might help you deal with gynecomastia:
Home Remedies for Gynecomastia:
1. Turmeric: Turmeric is known to be very effective in increasing testosterone hormone levels in men. When the level of testosterone becomes high, large breasts in men naturally reduce in size. It also contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that are very beneficial to health. Incorporating turmeric to your daily diet is a good way to treat gynecomastia. One way of consuming turmeric could be by adding 2 to 3 spoons of turmeric to warm water and drinking this 2 to 3 times a day.
2. Red Clover: Red clover contains genistein which acts as a very strong estrogen reduction agent. You could make tea with this herb and consume it daily, or consider taking red clover supplements after consultation with your doctor.
3. Guggul: This ancient medicinal herb is very effective for gynecomastia. This herb helps in reducing the levels of estrogens and increasing the production of male hormones inside the body.If used regularly, this herb can help in decreasing deposition of fat on the breast tissue of men. Extracts of guggul are easily available in the market.
4. Exercise: If you are suffering from pseudogynecomastia ( gynecomastia caused by obesity) the best remedy is to exercise. Either sweat it out at a gym regularly or do other physical activities you enjoy. This is beneficial for your overall health.
5. Milk Thistle: If breast enlargement is due to liver disease, then this is one of the most effective treatments. The active constituent silymarin in milk thistle is known to improve liver functioning. To consume, add 1 tablespoon of crushed milk thistle seeds to 3 cups of water. Heat until boiling, remove from heat and steep for 20 minutes. Strain and add a little honey. Drink this tea 2 times a day for a few weeks.
Also, if you’re suffering from gynecomastia you must completely avoid soy products, tree tea oil, lavender oil and exposure to pollutants.
Edited by Pragya Sharoff
Completely avoiding exposure to pollutants is just not possible. Every day, every where we go, we become exposed. Or are you referring to more dangerous / toxic pollutants?