Caramelize 2 thinly sliced onions in 1/2 cup of olive oil, until crispy brown. Remove the onions and set aside. Wash 1 pound lentils. Heat in the same oil. Pour in 8 cups of water and add salt to taste. Ensure lentils are cooked, but not mushy. Add 1.5 cups bulgur. Bring it to a boil. Cook on low heat for 10 mins. Cover and set aside for 20 mins. Serve and top with the caramelized onions.
Friday was laundry day at my mom’s and that meant we were having Mujadarra for dinner. This dish is easy to make, requires few steps, and most importantly, it tastes great.
A lot of children grew up in Syria eating this dish. Lentil and bulgur together give you a cheap source of good complete protein. Bulgur is parboiled wheat so it takes shorter time to cook.
Bulgur has more fiber and nutrients than rice. Also Bulgar does not affect blood sugar as white rice does and this makes it a good grain alternative for diabetics.
Give this dish a try, make a lot of caramelized onion, and I guarantee you it will become a favorite in your home.
Where can you find a healthy source of good protein for less than $ 5.00?
Easy And Delicious Lentil Pilaf
- Recipe type: Main Dishes
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serves: 6
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pound brown lentils
- 1½ cups coarse bulgur
- salt to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy pot. Season the onions with a dash of salt and drop them gently into the hot oil. Stir and cook them until they are crispy brown. Remove the onions and set them aside. Remove the pot from the heat and allow the oil to cool.
- Wash the lentils and drop them into the oil. Pour 8 cups of water and salt to taste. Place the pot back on the stove and bring it to a boil. Heat until the lentils are cooked, but not mushy. Ensure about 3 cups of cooking water remain after the lentils are boiled.
- Add the bulgur to the pot, mix with the lentils and bring it to boil. Taste and adjust the seasoning, and then cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and keep the lid on for 20 minutes. This will allow the bulgar and lentils to cook in steam.
- Remove the lid and spoon the pilaf into shallow serving plates.
- Spread the caramelized onion over the pilaf and serve.