Toss 3 lb beet wedges in 2 tsp olive oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 3/4 tsp salt, and pepper. Bake in a preheated oven (425F) for 45 min, stirring every 15 min. Reduce 1 tsp maple syrup and 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar to roughly 3 tbsps by heating. To this, add the baked beets, 1/2 cup pomegranate, 1/4 cup roasted pistachios, and balsamic glaze. Garnish with pomegranate, pistachios, and orange zest.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
- 3 lb beets (scrubbed and cut into wedges not more than 3⁄4 inch thick; if you prefer not to eat the peels, peel with a vegetable peeler before cutting.)
- 3⁄4 tsp salt
- Cracked pepper
- 2 tsps olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp cumin seeds, fennel seeds (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup + 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1⁄4 cup crushed roasted pistachios
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- Toss beets, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper in a bowl to coat well.
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheet and roast in an oven preheated to 425 F until tender, stirring every 15 minutes, for about 45 minutes.
Make Balsamic Glaze
- Put 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar and 1 tsp maple syrup in a small pot on medium low heat and reduce the volume for 20 minutes or until you have about 3 tbsps.
When beets are done, place in a serving dish and toss with balsamic glaze, pomegranate seeds, and pistachios.
Garnish with orange zest, pomegranate seeds, and pistachios.