Contrary to yoga myths, simple asanas have as great benefits as complex yoga poses. Better still they can be done by all, whether fat, old, or inflexible and not just for those with health problems. Choose a yoga expert to start or learn gentle asanas online. Practice at home for 15–20 mins daily, or for 4 days a week. Do it at your own comfortable pace and make sure you practice on an empty stomach.
Everyone today acknowledges the benefits of practicing yoga to remain healthy. However, a lot of individuals get deterred or intimidated thinking it is very difficult.
International Yoga Day is now being celebrated each year on 21 June. In spite of so much of attention given to yoga, there are a lot of misconceptions.
Most of these stem from the fact that there are many pictures and videos of people doing very complex asanas, possibly more to show off and not because they are required. Also, we see only toned bodies and great-looking clothes and equipment. Due to this, there are some myths around yoga that prevent people from practicing it.
Disregard These Yoga Myths
- You need to be flexible.
- It is better suited for younger people.
- It is meant for only those who have health problems.
- Fat or obese individuals cannot practice equally well and get all its benefits.
- One has to go to a crowded class and practice with others in a cramped situation.
- One cannot practice at one’s own pace and as per one’s own convenience.
- You need to buy mats and yoga clothing to practice.
- You cannot practice it at home.
- You need to pay lots of money to a teacher to come over and teach.
- It cannot be done daily.
- You have to do a lot of complex and convoluted asanas to get benefits.
- The more difficult practices are better.
- Householders cannot be serious about yoga.
Start Yoga Now
The very fact that these are myths means none of these are true. So how do we go about starting yoga? One of the best ways to do so is by going to credible experts or learn online. There are so many gentle and simple practices you can do forever and get all the benefits you would have got from the most complicated asanas. Personal experiences of thousands of people as well as a growing body of scientific research clearly state there is no need to practice for long hours, spend money, or do complex asanas and pranayamas. Even the simplest practices give as great benefits as the more complicated hatha yoga postures.
Pick up gentle asanas that you can learn online for free and practice them at home for 15–20 minutes on a daily basis. If you can’t practice daily, then try practicing four times a week. Do not worry about the time. Practice whenever you have the time, be it morning or evening. Just make sure you are on an empty stomach.